Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

The F_ _ _ _ _ Word: Flinching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: The F_ _ _ _ _ Word: Flinching

Great article - I enjoyed reading that.

Cheers.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Darrell,

This article has to be one of the best I have read on here, and confirms my thoughts on ridding myself of the dreaded flinch. Yes, I do flinch. My current plan is to shoot the snot out of target 22's and heavier guns to improve my skills and try to eliminate the flinch as much as possible. I'm also going to print this and put it in my range box to read before I shoot from now on.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Darrell, really great article . Something I've noticed when letting people shoot long range for the first time is how well women and men who have never shot before do when set up correctly . most of the time they out shoot the "experienced" shooters and I"d bet it is the flinch factor. The "experienced shooters just seem to tighten up and this surely affects their shot. The part on dry firing really can help anyone. That could be a whole other thread as to the effects on the firing pin but it hasen't seemed to hurt mine and i'm sure that dry firing has dramaticaly improved my groups. Thanks again for a great article.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM

I shoot heavy 300 win mag rounds a lot. What I find helps me more than anything else is to not over shot to the point of becoming sore in the shoulder. I made the mistake one time before trying to prove how tough I was. Cost me about three mths of work to correct the problem by shooting everything from 22 long rifle to 6mm rem to work out the kink. It was not so much the recoil as the pain I was bracing for.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 AM

Great article and some really helpful posts - thanks everyone.
My experience has been similar to some of you in that the greatest cause of my flinch has been pain or anticipation of pain - either pain in the shoulder/upper body caused by recoil or pain in the ears caused by the report of the rifle shot.
Remember this problem/solution is personal as we all have differing levels of tolerance to pain - and to just about everything else in life.
My remedy has been to minimise the number of shots fired with my rifles that, in my case, have enough recoil to cause me physical pain to the upper body (.303 Brit and .375 Ruger calibres) and to ensure I allways wear ear muffs when target shooting - I generally don't wear earmuffs for hunting so I can still hear my hunting mates (safety reasons).
# 1 rule is STOP when it isn't fun anymore - IE it hurts or is uncomfortable.
I would agree that overcoming flinching is an ongoing discipline and control of the mind and the gun is critical to, and the biggest part of, the flinching solution.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

In my case, flinch equates to trigger pull and anticipated recoil. I've found that reducing trigger pull ( and a quality trigger with no pretravel or creep) goes a long way toward reducing or eliminating anticipation, aka: flinch.

Flinch will ruin your day when shooting competition and it occurs across all calibers.

In my case, controlling recoil is all about decelerator pads, or muzzle brakes. heavy, abrupt recoil not only is a detriment to accurate shot placement, it's a detriment to optics and optic alignment.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

This is a good thread.

I come to rifle now after shooting shotgun at clay for over 15 years so I am familiar with the flinch. Luckily I had some good mentors and the one point that was drilled into me and I have followed to this day - use as little shot and powder that you need to get the job done. I load a "candy" (lite) one ounce load for trap, skeet and SC when I shoot it. Choke down and practice. I have put over 100,000 shells thru my Browning O/U and I don't flinch (knock wood).

Now that I am doing more rifle I always have my 22LR with me when I shoot targets. And while a have a few bigger rifles my next rifle is going to be a .223 because that is all I will need for woodchucks out to 200 yards. And when I need something which will reach out a little farther I will buy it but not until then.