Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt By Jim Collier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 01:33 PM

F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt By Jim C

Jim,
Thanks for the great article. Another example of this sites dedication to educating newcomers to Long Range like myself. Congratulations to all for a fine effort. Thanks to your dedication, I am sure I will progress in such a way as to uphold the integrity of the sport.
Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Nice article, thanks for the information. I live about 3 hours from Hawk's Ridge and 3 hours from Quantico so it's nice to know I have some choices for F-class competition. I was fortunate enough to shoot my first 1,000 yard match just a few months ago in Quantico, Va. at the IBS Nationals. I had a ball and I am looking so forward to shooting and competing in the future. I'm also looking forward to different forms of competitions.

Mike
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Mike

I think there will be one more F-class in December. I most likely will shoot unless it is raining or something is happening at home that requires me.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Mike

I think there will be one more F-class in December. I most likely will shoot unless it is raining or something is happening at home that requires me.

Bob,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately with my current chemo schedule I probably won't get to shoot again until late spring or even summer.

Thanks again for the information.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 AM

Required Gear for F T/R

Hi Jim,

I'm a new hunter and found your article extremely informative. I normally hunt in upstate PA for deer but my father-in-law has been talking mroe and more about going out for Elk in western PA or out west.

I also wanted to start F T/R shooting as is seems a shame to leave my .308 in the safe 11 months out of the year.

I just wanted to know if my current gear list is covering all the bases for the first-time I go out to try some long range.

Rem 700 PSS .308
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X 40mm
Harris HB-LMS Bipod - 9-13", Swivel, Notches
Rear Bag
Celestron 18-45X 65mm Spotting Scope / Tripod
MidwayUSA Shooting Mat
Folding Chair
Cooler w/ Food & Drink

Maybe I'll run into you at Range 4 sometime.

Thanks,

DaveC
Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

There is an F-class match January 27 at Quantico. I am going to be gone hunting so I will not be there. I expect I will be there in February but may be coaching a new shooter so I will be pretty much dedicated to that.

Here are a few things you didn't mention:

Rear bag of some kind.

$30 for entry fee

pen/pencil for scoring and paper for making notes on drops.

Bullets capable of traveling to 1K supersonic. Basically Sierra 175 MKs at 2600 fps will do you fine. For bought ammo, people recommend Fed Gold Medal Match 175s or Black Hills Match. I have never shot any factory loads. The 168s will lose velocity and are kind of iffy at 1K.

Eye and hearing protection.

They shoot in the rain if the targets can be seen so be prepared for that.

There is some kind of 1K prone match at Williamsport Pa but they call it something different than F-class and it is only 10 rounds fired for record so it is not worth my time and trouble.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt By Jim Collier

What distinguishes a full-house open class rifle from a target rifle on a bipod? I have purchased a Remington VS in 308 that came with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 on it, mounted on a Hart & Sons 20 MOA rail. The problem (if it is a problem) is the previous owner put a rail on the fore-end and an adjustable butt-plate assembly on the butt stock. Can I still shoot with the amateurs, or am I going to have to shoot with the big boys?