Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt By Jim Collier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
PUBLISHER

F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt By Jim Collier

This is a thread for discussion of the article, F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 07-19-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Jim:

Great article on F Class. Sounds like something that is perfect practice for long range hunting. Might have to give it a try some time.

I was reading along and it was getting really interesting and I was thinking about what it would be like and contemplating things right up until I read what "food" I'd have to bring.
Quote:
Lastly, you should bring food and drink being as these things drag on and on. Food should be potted meat sandwiches, chitlins, tripe or fried possum but you will have to guard them so the other shooters don’t steal your lunch.
Man........I don't know about that part of it. Hope that's not a rule at all clubs.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Great informative article. Good to know my 7MM STW is not applicable for F-Class. Is it applicable for any long range competitive shooting? I usually shoot off homemade shooting sticks in a sitting position or from a box blind and window sill. What type of competitive shooting would help me with these type of hunting styles? I also shoot .270 win and 257 roberts.

I usually shoot 200 to 300 yards at the range i go to and site guns in for 200 yard zero. I have not dialed up and down yet but with the new 7mm STW I am going to try. I think the scope I have will be up to the task, will see if the rain will quit and I can get that load developed.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Jim, great article, interesting read. i'm itchin to do a little D-class shooting down in West V. this fall!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

HRStretch

What I would suggest is that you get a box of Berger 115 VLD’s for the 257 Roberts and buy some new cases and some match primers and see if you can tease about half inch groups out of it. I do not know what powder but maybe some Varget or 4350 would be a good place to start. This should reach 1000 yards easily. If the rifle will not hold half inch groups then take it to a benchrest gunsmith and have him look it over. That would be my choice for competition.

I would then find all of the ranges and clubs within a hundred miles and see how many have websites. I would check Benchrest Central and 6mmBR forums for matches. What I would look for are “fun” type of competitions such as dynamite, balloon, groundhog, etc. Many of these will have factory classes and the distances will be short to intermediate. About 300 to 500 yards will probably be comfortable to you at first and then you can move out to some of the further distances.

There are a lot of things transferable from these kinds of competitions to shooting deer at 300 yards from a box stand. Mostly they will be shooting mechanics such as trigger control and reloading techniques. Any problems with the rifle, such as a too flexible fore end or bad bedding, scope clarity or shooter will be come apparent. Some of us just don’t have the ability to concentrate and pay attention to details that it requires to become really good competitive shooters, but the objective here is not to become an Olympic gold medalist, instead we just want to improve our shooting skills by practicing under controlled conditions and trying to learn from a group of people who have really great shooting skills.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,

Good write up. I enjoyed the read.

I learned some things. Sorry about that loose bipod. A bigger wrench will help (LOL)

Looking forward to the report of the next match......
Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Roy

It had only been 38 years since I last used a 40X rail and those little 22 rimfires didn't recoil very much as I remember it.;)