Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Do Bullets Go To Sleep?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do Bullets Go To Sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post

Does it improve the bullet by making it longer or at least with a long bearing surface relative to weight to minimize this effect? That is, do long bodied bullets with long contact surfaces pitch and yaw less? Have you found a correlation between length of bearing surface as a function of sectional density that improves or reduces this effect?

Very informative article, written for laymen to understand. That alone is an accomplishment.
I don't know. High speed video is the best way to quantify the maximum pitch and yaw angles of bullets in flight. We've produced and reviewed high speed videos to quantify pitch and yaw on a number of bullets, but we haven't noticed any length related trends, but we haven't carefully designed an experiment with bearing surface length as the only variable either.

I tend to think that controlling other factors is likely more important. You want a good concentric load with minimal opportunity for the bullet to get misaligned in the bore as it transitions from the case to the rifling, and you want a good crown and a clean release as it leaves the muzzle. As Mike said, you also want to keep the muzzle pressures down either with an appropriate barrel length or a good powder choice.

With a given level of maximum pitch and yaw (say 5 degrees), longer bullets will have a greater increase in drag than shorter bullets, because at a given angle, longer bullets have a greater increase in cross sectional surface area than shorter bullets.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting stuff. I was so involved in the discussion I ended up being disappointed when I got to the last Post. I was hoping for further discussion, but the discussion that's here shed a lot of light drag coefficients and BC values, the various factors that can influence these values, and what LR hunters and target shooters might do to improve on the consistency of these values. Thanks Michael. And Mikecr also.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Interesting stuff. I was so involved in the discussion I ended up being disappointed when I got to the last Post. I was hoping for further discussion, but the discussion that's here shed a lot of light drag coefficients and BC values, the various factors that can influence these values, and what LR hunters and target shooters might do to improve on the consistency of these values. Thanks Michael. And Mikecr also.
Litz has a new book coming out on July 25 that should shed more light on some of these issues.