Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Coyote Hunting Predatorial Series #3 - Coyote In The Crosshairs By Greg Ballard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Coyote Hunting Predatorial Series #3 - Coyote In The Crosshairs By Greg Ballard

Tried out my new open reed calls Sun. eve at a large field by my house. Barely in the city limits, barely. Anyway, I frequently see yotes in the field and after 10 min. of blowing a rabbit in distress call he come 2 young yotes. Would have been a nice 200 yard shot. They loped out into the field and got to with in 100 yards of me sitting in the bed of my pick-up.
Obviously no worries by these 2.
Can't wait to get to the field with a rifle!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Coyote Hunting Predatorial Series #3 - Coyote In The Crosshairs By Greg Ballard

Sounds like a lot of fun and a bit of practise. I don't personally call to them until I am ready to shoot them as I prefer to not educate them any more than they already get by other people in the area who don't set up properly. They don't have the ability to reason but they aren't totally stupid either

Some of the best functioning hand calls made are from my good friend and hunting partner, Arky of ArkyYoter game calls.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Thanks AR, I understand. I have 3 Dan Thompson calls and plan on getting a couple from Carvercalls in Utah. Kerry Carver is a great guy with a ton of coyote killing experience.
sure wish I could have tapped these young uns. The neighborhood cats have been taking a beating.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM

I know this post is fairly old, but maybe I could get some help. Greg I was wondering if you was happy with your build from lazy d guns. I'm fairly close to that area and I want to have a custom upper built in a 6mm or 6.5. I was curious about the spc brass, how available it is? I was thinking about the grendal or the 6mmAR and I could use lapua brass for these. I know that I could run heavier vld bullets with those two and still fit in the magazines. Wasn't sure about the 6spc? Also if you was going to do another build is there any others calibers you would consider?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM

I know this post is fairly old, but maybe I could get some help. Greg I was wondering if you was happy with your build from lazy d guns. I'm fairly close to that area and I want to have a custom upper built in a 6mm or 6.5. I was curious about the spc brass, how available it is? I was thinking about the grendal or the 6mmAR and I could use lapua brass for these. I know that I could run heavier vld bullets with those two and still fit in the magazines. Wasn't sure about the 6spc? Also if you was going to do another build is there any others calibers you would consider?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

This probably long dead. But here goes.

I was excited to here your preference for a 243 . I just bought one. A X-Bolt and put a Leupold V6 3.5 - 18. I just love it.

You mentioned the 55gr. BT . How deep are you seating the bullets. There too short to get close to the OGIVE. But that doesn't seem to matter?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

I shoot the Horn. 55 gr V-Max and love em. Great speed and expansion.
Best of all I can usually find them in my local big box store or on-line.