Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Coyote Hunting, A Predatorial Series #1 - "Basic Behavior" By Greg Ballard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Coyote Hunting, A Predatorial Series #1 - "Basic Behavior" By Greg Ballard

This is the thread for discussion of the article: Coyote Hunting, A Predatorial Series - "Basic Behavior" By Greg Ballard

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies

Last edited by Len Backus; 08-20-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 AM

Coyotes vs Huskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRH View Post
This is the thread for discussion of the article: Coyote Hunting, A Predatorial Series - "Basic Behavior" By Greg Ballard

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.
Greg, I live in a very rural environment in the very northeastern corner of Washington State, about half way between Spokane and the Canadian Border. We do have our share of coyotes but from my experience with them, up here, I question the size of the range that you've estimated. I have no way by which I can present any sort of a valid study to confirm my estimate of the territory they cover but it certainly appears to be from 15 to 30 square miles.

Last Fall and early winter a pack of, at least, 5 coyotes (we've observed and counted them all appearing together) lived or make their headquarters at the bottom of one of our pastures. The range from our south facing kitchen window to the far tree line (measured with my laser range finder) is 286 yards. That tree line is as near to the house as I've ever observed them. At that distance they obviously felt perfectly secure because, on several occasions, they came out of the timber, on to the pasture a few yards, then sit/lie and watch us. Some times their people-watching would last for 45 min to an hour. The only exception to this was one that I called in to about 125 yds. I fired at it (He? She?) with my 7.62. But I was so startled at the results of my calling that I nearly forgot how to fire the rifle and the shot went somewhere 'as yet undetermined'.

Thus far this Spring (05 June) they have yet to make their seasonal debut. There are probably 3 reasons for their tardiness: #1. They have plenty of fodder down in the valley, about 8oo feet below our elevation; #2. I've mounted a scope on my 7.62; #3. I've had a Spokane Gunsmith cobble up a 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum with a Nikon Monarch X.

So they may all be in Oklahoma by this time.

Last edited by Jon Manton; 06-06-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Bronze Member

I think that the ranges of the coyotes will be in direct line with the numbers of coyotes in the area. If you have a higher number of coyotes then the ranges will shrink as they are territorial. I stated that the ranges for the male coyotes can be as high as 40 miles. Of course this is all estimated based on others studies. When the numbers get high then the coyotes will also move to stake out their own territories elsewhere and this is why they will soon be everywhere if not already. Your coyotes are likely still in your area if things haven't changed to affect their food and shelter. Hey, One of the members of our predator hunting association is actually from Washington State and is an accomplished predator call maker. If you contact me privately then I will give you a contact info for him.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Bronze Member

Good article, how about a podcast too?

Greg,

Great article concerning coyote hunting. Previously, I could not get into hunting predators for sport. However, we have a continued drought in the southwest. I have seen increasing pressures from all sides upon my game of choice - Mulies, rabbits and game birds.

Through a fair amount of research and personal observation I have decided it is time to become involved with predator management. I can't change the weather, stop wildfires, or "will" habitat to sustain game animals. But I can do my part to manage predator control.

I think a good addition to your series would be podcasts in mp3 format. An "on location" podcast during the hunt would be especially well received. I look forward to reading your next article on Hunting Coyotes.

Luke
Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

Excellant idea Luke, I plan on doing something to this effect this fall when my series gets into the actual hunting of the coyotes and I will put the techniques to the test for all to see. I will have to learn about the podcast and all it entails to see if that is the option to do. It would be interesting to at least get to watch a video of sorts that I could show the setups that I will talk about in the articles and then the actual calling of the coyotes using those exact setups.

Greg
Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Bronze Member

Example of Podcast idea

I am a suscriber to another community called Nikonians.org it is all about photography. They have many good examples of "on Location' podcasts. Here is a link to one of my favorites.

Nikonians News - Photography & Imaging News and Podcasts: The Nikonians On Location #15

Just an example to give you an idea. Even if you do not have time to podcast I am still looking forward to your reports. I have a wounded rabbit "blow" call and will be calling and Predator hunting while scouting for the fall season hunt.

Luke
Old 07-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the link. I will go pay a visit. I will be covering basic calls in the July article.