Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Camouflage, Concealment and Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Camouflage, Concealment and Coyotes

Quote:
The camouflage industry is flourishing. New patterns emerge every year. New materials become available and everyone has their favorite pattern or patterns. People get attached to their favorite camo patterns. It seems that critiquing someone's favorite camo pattern is akin to bad-mouthing their mother-you better be ready to fight! I love camouflage. It makes a statement. It shows our outdoor heritage. It makes us feel stealthier. And, proper camouflage actually does serve a purpose in the field by helping the hunter blend into their surroundings and breaking up the outline disguising the human form. Coyotes are amazing animals with some of the most acute senses of any animal. To take them consistently requires a hunter to do many things big and small correctly. Proper camouflage and concealment can help up the odds.Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Camouflage, Concealment and Coyotes, By Tim Titus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Camouflage, Concealment and Coyotes

Sooooo many patterns out there. All of it expensive if its good stuff. My outer layer is too dark when I leave this part of the country. If Santa doesn't come through-after the New Year I'm looking at additional coats and pants the grays are high on the list right now. Is there a color that travels well in your opinion?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
SPONSOR

Although many patterns are pretty versatile, King's Desert Shadow may be one of the most versatile IMO--good shades/hues and reasonably open in pattern. Interestingly, it was far and away the most well represented camo at the World Coyote Calling Championships. It must work somrwhere. One nice thing about camo is that it doesn't get worn out or over used like e-callers and specific sounds. Animals don't start watching for a common camo pattern. It either fits or it doesn't.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Well written article.

The point made about potentially being skylined from an approaching predators perspective is a good one. That is the mistake I see made most often on setups. (not than I am a pro or anything)
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info on concealment. It's always important to remember!!! You mentioned #4 buck shot for up close work, what other cal. do you use in your setups???
Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM
SPONSOR

270S: I've also used the Dead Coyote T-shot in the shotgun and I used Federal UHD Coyote loads for the World's hunt a few weeks ago. As far as rifles, I usually carry a .204 Ruger loaded with 35 grain Bergers over Benchmark. My son is building me a medium weight .243AI that I'm going to try with the 65 grain V-max. For long range stuff we shoot fast-twist .243AI's with 105 A-maxes or Berger VLD's. (I hope I understood your question correctly.)
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info, I would like to have a coyote round but I just need to pick a cal. I went to your web page and liked the info that you had. Great Read....