Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Bore Cleaning Basics By Matthew Cameron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Bore Cleaning Basics By Matthew Cameron

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Bore Cleaning Basics By Matthew Cameron. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bore Cleaning Basics By Matthew Cameron

While I agree with the premise of the article my own experience as Verified with a bore scope concludes the use of brake cleaner will not remove the carbon fouling in a barrel. I use brake cleaner extensively in my firearms cleaning to remove solvents and crud in general (also use to clean solvents off of brushes and blast the lug area prior to re lubrication) and it is extremely useful.

While my method is a little different and more comprehensive with the exception of the carbon removal this is a pretty good guide for those who do not utlize a structured approach to the cleaning their firearm.

Good Job..
Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Good job on the article Mr. Cameron! Thank you!

I would have a few constructive criticisms to offer:

1) Bore guides: I heartily agree that a good bore guide is necessary. The trouble is that the bore guides pictured to not serve any function beyond simply preventing solvent from getting into the action. I have about ten Sinclair and Midway bore guides in various calibers that sit unused in drawer. They do NOT prevent the rod from rubbing the rifle throat, which is THE most critical function they could have performed.

We must ask ourselves this single question to understand my point:
If a proper caliber bore brush will pass through a bore guide, how can it possibly perform it's stated purpose?
Answer: It clearly cannot.

While I use good quality rods from Dewey, to get the required protection I have gone to bore guides made by Mike Lucas. Mr. Lucas' guides actually DO guide the rod itself and prevent contact with the bore, while also serving the secondary function of keeping solvents out of the action and bedding.

2) In agreement with the above poster, I also have a bore scope and find that brake cleaner does not do very much to remove carbon fouling. There are far better products out there. SLIP2000 is one, GM TEC is another. The SLIP must be used with caution, because it will strip all oils and a chrome-moly barrel can be pitted if left too long without re-oiling the bore. This warning of potential corrosion is on the label.

3) I have abandoned Hoppes and Sweets for "Wipe Out" and "Patch Out" products.

I have used Hoppes since the early 1970s, and always had confidence in it's effectiveness. Then, I tried Sweets 7.62 and found that it removed large amounts of copper from bores that had seemed clean when using Hoppes. I then went to Hoppes to remove carbon, and used Sweets to remove copper, and life was good, until I built a 6.5-300 Weatherby in the mid 1990s.

I cleaned this pig very often, but it still developed a hard carbon ring that gave me quite a fit with pressures until I finally realized what was going on. Even JB simply polished this hard deposit of carbon and deterrent left behind by 80+ grains of H870.

When Wipe Out foam was introduced, a trusted friend told me how great it was, but I was, at that time, quite happy to be scrubbing with Hoppes, Sweets and JB. I went through several bottle of Sweets a year, and at least one tub of JB. I bought my Hoppes in 16 ounce bottles. I wore out numerous bore brushes, and eventually went to buying dozen packs at Sinclair.

When I finally tried Wipe Out, it removed a HUGE amount of copper that was left after what I though was a very thorough cleaning with Sweets & JB. I had cleaned my Hart barreled 6.5-300 Wby and .22-250 until the patches came out clean. No more fouling was removed by Sweets or Hoppes. I applied Wipe Out and let stand overnight. When I pushed a patch through, I got what looked like blue jello, and a large amount of copper was removed. I reapplied, and got even more copper out. A third application finally came out clean.

Since getting my bore scope outfit, I have looked at many barrels, and I have also procured about 10 pull-off barrels from custom gunsmiths, some of which were terribly fouled. Between experimenting with these pull-offs and my own rifles, I see now that both Hoppes and Sweets will perform to a certain extent, but both will leave fouling. Wipe Out does not.

Again, thank you very much for a very informative article!

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Re: Butch's Bore Shine?

Gentlemen,

Are there any opinions on Butch's Bore Shine?

I seem to get good results with it, but a respected local gunsmith is against it's use as it's supposed to be abrasive. It certainly does clean out the copper fouling fast and so I never leave it in the barrel for more than a few minutes.

RD
Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Gentlemen,

Are there any opinions on Butch's Bore Shine?

I seem to get good results with it, but a respected local gunsmith is against it's use as it's supposed to be abrasive. It certainly does clean out the copper fouling fast and so I never leave it in the barrel for more than a few minutes.

RD

Better find another smith because yours is so far in the weeds he cannot see out. LOL
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Better find another smith because yours is so far in the weeds he cannot see out. LOL
Thanks Boss,

When I first used Butch's Bore Shine, I had already been shooting my rifle, a Remington Sendero in .270Win, for a while. That first time, it took me more than 50 patches soaked with 'Shine before there was no more blue. After that it wasn't nearly as bad.

I had already been using a bore guide, a vinyl coated rod, brass core brushes and brass cleaning jag, but I didn't know about Butch's Bore shine until I read an article on how the bench rest boys cleaned their rifles. While I have always had good experiences with (moon) Shine, it was the gunsmith's opinion which had me worried a bit.

We never cleaned our rifles like this in the (Canadian) Army and so I learned the hard way that what works in the service doesn't necessarily translate to what is good when you're shooting elk at long range in the mountains.

Cheers,
RD
Old 03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

I have checked out a few Brake cleaners and Carby cleaners and none claim to remove carbon.

My problem is I moly coat all my projectiles and when I clean he barrel with Sweet 7.62 the first patch through the barrel seems to stick to the barrel and jams up needing force to keep it moving.

Once the barrel is clean and lubed its as smooth as and patches pass through freely.