Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Basic Blueprinting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Basic Blueprinting

Quote:
Let's be honest, all incantational chants, black magic and voodoo aside, if the basic components of any given rifle build are perfectly parallel, square, straight, concentric and true, then producing an exceptionally accurate rifle is an easy task for virtually any competent person. Unfortunately, they rarely are and it almost never is. Actually, in my experience they NEVER are and it NEVER is! This is why most gun-builders have mood-swings of remarkable range and spend a lot of their time talking to themselves. To build the extremely accurate guns people pay us to build, we need every component to be absolutely perfect! But, they never are! Consequently, we spend more time "fixing stuff" than actually building guns. Is it any wonder some of us become just a wee bit cranky? Which brings us to basic receiver "blueprinting."
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Basic Blueprinting, By Vickie M. Harrold with S.T.H. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: Basic Blueprinting

Makes me want to purchase a lathe! Again! One of these days I will simply have to give in to the impulse.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

So do you only blueprint the action or do you have to blueprint the barrel too? How about a switch barrel system? Do you blueprint all barrels that will be fitted to the blueprinted action?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

Typically you don't blue print an action unless you are installing a new barrel. Then it is just a normal barrel install with the threads cut over size to match the amount the threads in the action are cut to true them up.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

I'd be sad that I didn't get any blueprints. :(
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Banned

Really very interesting discussion about Blue Printing. I like it.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

I just puchased an FN 1950 model large ring FULL "c" action that was never installed, it's new/unused and maybe their best Commercial Mauser action based on my opinion and the year it was manufactured. Question, I am going to have a 35 Whelen built by a gunsmith. ( Don't know who yet? ) I'll take recommendations for a gunsmith who works and knows these Mauser actions. Do they blueprint and polish these actions in the process?

Thanks,
Ed