Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Barrel Compromise: Weight Vs. Practicality By Bryan Chatwell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Barrel Compromise: Weight Vs. Practicality By Bryan Chatwell

Quote:
Itís not a secret that heavier barrels give better and more repeatable accuracy. Bench rest shooters use either a heavy varmint or a light varmint contour barrel at around 20 inches overall length. This makes for a very rigid barrel, little barrel whip and vibration, hence the small groups. However the long range hunter does not have the option of having a short 20 inch barrel, and even the light varmint contour is too heavy to carry around mountain tops at high altitude. There has to be a compromise between weight and ability to carry. The Shilen number 5 contour is a popular choice but is a little on the light side for my personal liking. The Light Palma contour however is a perfect compromise. The Light Palma contour is heavier than the number five contour but lighter than the factory Remington varmint/Sendero profile. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Barrel Compromise: Weight Vs. Practicality, By Bryan Chatwell. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Re: Barrel Compromise: Weight Vs. Practicality By Bryan Chatwell

Thank you for your article. Can you share what the final rifle weight and barrel weight are?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the thoughts Brian. Do you feel that a light palma contour would work on an Edge with a 30 inch barrel? One which is essentially a fairly heavy hunting rifle that would be used for long range hunting? Also have you used the deep flutes offered by Broughton? I apprreciate the perspective. I have gone with both the Sendero and the varmint contours in the past but could always use a little less carry weight Thanks 30-338
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Bronze Member

Appreciate the article. Keep em coming.

Personally though, I dunno. My Krieger #5 Bull Sporter is the same diameter as the light plama at the neck but is .700" at the muzzle compared to the light palma's .750". For that, I save a full half pound of weight at the end of the barrel.

Everything you write makes sense, but that 1/2 pound means alot to me too. I'm just sayin.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

Bryan,
Excellent perspective and comments! I've taken a bit different approach in 'rebuilding' a M700
chambered in 308 Win: Literally replacing everything except the action, extractor and plunger
(ejector), settled on a 'lightweight' 24" super match barrel. Opting for a very accurate first shot
from a cold barrel vs a heavier barrel which didn't necessarily provide any better accuracy for a
cold shot, yet was lighter and more portable as far as carrying while hiking/backpacking the back
country.
BTW, while I'm still 'fine-tuning', the rifle has alread demonstrated sub-MOA accuracy out to 300 yds. Utlimately, it will provide excellent accuracy with the first shot out to 700-yds, and still be comfortable to carry for miles upon miles into the backcountry.
If you can place your first shot exactly where it needs to go, there doesn't appear to be much need for a second, third, or more shots, period.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Bryan,
Thanks for your article, all those tips are answering the questions I had about my future long range hunting rifle project, before I even asked them to anyone. Will be considering the light palma contour as one of the options.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

Good article. Thanks!

My .308 has a 24" Krieger, turned to the Remington Varmint contour - not bad, but I'd like to shave a little weight from it for hunting. I'm familiar with the Palma contour barrels, and it does look like a viable option.

Regards, Guy