Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Advantages Of Using The Long Range Spotter by Shawn Carlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
PUBLISHER

Advantages Of Using The Long Range Spotter by Shawn Carlock

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Advantages Of Using The Long Range Spotter, by Shawn Carlock. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
and even handier a light weight hunter orange vest for both the spotter and hunter the wear to spot each other while the shooter is being guided in by the spotter.
Even when hunter orange is not mandatory, this is a extremely important when dealing with tracking a wounded animal. Knowing where the other person is and if it is safe to shoot is the difference in hesitating to look for the other person before taking a follow up shot on a wounded animal and being able to know immediately that it is safe to fire and finish the animal.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

Spotting scope power

Shawn, could you advise what you consider the best power for a long range spotting scope?Specifally small targets rather than large game please?

I have a new long range rifle set up to shoot rabbits. My goal is 1000yds.
I am considering the Leupold Tactical spotter 10-40x60 as it can be had with the TMR reticle. This would allow precise adjuctment calls by the spotter.
I also have a Mark 4 scope with the same reticle.

Aussie Powder Burner
Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Sponsor

That is the scope I use myself id the MK4 HD with TMR reticule in it. It is not a clear as a Swaro or Leica but not as heavy, big or expensive. I have also noticed that it is much easier reading mirage with the Leupold. The Leica I use on occasion is much better at cutting mirage but also makes it harder to read it. All in all I really like the Leupold for an all around hunting scope. I have used it to locate, call dope and spot for shots well over 1000 yards on rockchucks.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

Shawn
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I have only seen a couple of rockchucks once on a visit to USA on Pikes Peak.
I recall they are much larger than a rabbit - whart you guys call cottontails?
Would the Leupold have sufficient clarity/contrast to see rabbits at 1000yd?
Thanks and happy new year
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Sponsor

Yes it does. Most of the rockchucks around my part of the world are smaller and about rabbit sized.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Advantages Of Using The Long Range Spotter by Shawn Carlock

im a new member here so im just beginning to read these articles. ive been hunting long range for about 40 years in my home state of pa. i thought this article was very well done. i would encourage especially beginners to follow these instructions for a succesful hunt. i have but one suggestion, and that pertains only to equiptment. tripod mounted binnoculars are far superior to a single spotting scope. both for finding game, and calling shots. i fully realize weight is a factor for hunters on foot. also cost is less with the single spotter. that said, binnoculars are the key element of all our equiptment. i have twin spotters in a machined bracket weighing about 5 lbs. perfect for a backpack. total cost about $400, plus tripod. pa. has a large population of long range hunters. i would say at least 75% are using various brands of twin spotters in machined brackets. a single spotter is as rare as a 35 rem.