Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

The 7mm Fatso - The Ultimate Short Magnum! By Greg Duley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

Re: The 7mm Fatso - The Ultimate Short Magnum! By Greg Duley

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI AL View Post
thanks for taking the time to writing another artical Greg, and updating those of us who already knew of the round.
with that new norma round brass do you think the standard extractor will be ok?
cheers
Not unless you used a factory 338 Lapua Remington for the build, and as that would be a long action it would kind of defeat the purpose. You can use any short action Remington or Model 7, regardless of chambering, but you will still need to fit a Sako type extractor and open the bolt face.
Greg
Old 06-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Keep us updated on the new brass option. I am really wanting to hear more.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Great article!! sounds like the perfect high country round round!! I dont have the capabilities to machine the brass so I doubt I'll ever build one, but It's nice to dream. i really enjoyed hearing about all the field testing and hunting. Great article.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Gold Member

Great article, I really enjoyed the read. I'd be very interested to see how the norma cases workout. I've wanted a short seven for some time now and this might be the ticket. Keep us updated. Thanks
Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like everyone is waiting for the Norma Brass.

Lets hope that some rifle manufacturer will soon produce a "new" action that has a bolt head and extractor large enough to handle these sort of short fat cartridges.

Just out of interest, why do you think that Norma is producing these new cartridges when there are no rifles currently available to shoot them?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Bronze Member

In your article you claim that the .378 Weatherby is based off .416 Rigby? How did you arrive at this info.

The .378 Weatherby is a belted magnum whereas the .416 has NO belt.?

Very interesting cartridge and article by the way....
Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey006 View Post
In your article you claim that the .378 Weatherby is based off .416 Rigby? How did you arrive at this info.

The .378 Weatherby is a belted magnum whereas the .416 has NO belt.?

Very interesting cartridge and article by the way....
Corey,
Absolutely the 378 Weatherby is based on the 416 Rigby. Yes they added a belt and the traditional Weatherby double radius shoulder, but the 416 Rigby case was the inspiration. This is common knowledge.

The 338 Norma brass has been going real well, lasting 20 loads at 65,000psi so far. I haven't been able to kill a case yet. And it has eliminated the expanding and full length turning then necking down again case forming steps. Now it is a simple neck down, shorten, neck turn, anneal and fireform with Shotgun powder.
Greg