Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

5 Tips For Success In High Country Mule Deer Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

5 Tips For Success In High Country Mule Deer Hunting

Quote:
Mule deer hunting to me is more than just a passion; it’d be better defined as an obsession. Many whitetail hunters believe mule deer are not as smart as whitetail. I can understand this if your goal is a three point, or maybe even a small four point. However, there is a reason that 80 percent of mule deer bucks that reach the age of five years old will die of old age. Simply put, they inhabit some country that most don’t dare approach. If you are up for the challenge, I’ve developed five key components that will set you up for a shot at success in the high country come fall, when most of the magnificent animals go back to being the “grey ghost” that they are commonly referred to by hunters.

Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, 5 Tips For Success In High Country Mule Deer Hunting , By Jason Verbeck. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: 5 Tips For Success In High Country Mule Deer Hunting

High mountain's and Big Mulies is what I dream about to.

Going on my first scouting trip July 30th - August 1th hoping to find some bucks.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Jason,
Very nice article, really enjoyed it.
Good tips, true tips!!!
I would also say that the best thing that has worked for me for high country deer hunting is being fit!!!. I train all year long to be able to backpack in and out, and that gives me the capability to hunt hard the days I stay out.
Thanks for sharing your tips.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Bronze Member

Excellent article. I looked up Crossfit and researched them a bit. Ended up joining. I've done a few workouts and wow I can tell this is going to get me in shape. Downside is there isn't a local chapter but most of the excercises can be done in your garage with minimal equipment. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
Jason,
Very nice article, really enjoyed it.
Good tips, true tips!!!
I would also say that the best thing that has worked for me for high country deer hunting is being fit!!!. I train all year long to be able to backpack in and out, and that gives me the capability to hunt hard the days I stay out.
Thanks for sharing your tips.
Thank you so much for your post.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 AM

I think everyone dreams of that 30" or larger rack but i just havent got it yet 26" is the best ive come up with and it was using these 5 steps but they were in the eastmans h j 5 years ago and it will be the same 5 steps in 5 more years what i need is more time to go scout and more money to go scout or get paid to do it.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

6. Hunt looking west in the morning and east in the afternoon! Sit on ya azz with a good pair of binocs, glass a lot, and have a good shooting rifle!

It's worked for 50 years for me!