Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

5 Secrets To A Successful Elk Hunt By Doug Rellstab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: 5 Secrets To A Successful Elk Hunt By Doug Rellstab

First dibs. not really since archery hunters get first chance!

Draw tags give you ability to hunt either cows or branch bulls depending on what tag you draw. while general tag is spike only.

It also allows you to hunt with limited pressure on the animals since they limit numbers per unit. I can think of three units that are like gold in this state. they give between 20 or 30 a year. And the bulls can get huge in those units as well.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Do they have draw tags for archery?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

There are about 10 draw units for archery, the rest are all over the counter. But most are any bull, some are any elk and some are spike only. I have 13 preferance points for THE trophy unit! and still have about 4 or 5 years till I draw it! but when I get it there is good oppurtunity to pull a 380+ out of it! 380 bull with a bow is a bull of a lifetime. Especially in OR.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for responding. Good luck on future draws.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
Oregon has a 2nd season general tag that is spike only and over the counter! He said tired over pressured elk, because all of the other draw seasons and archery season preceed the over the counter elk tag!
Yup. Except Im getting the General Season tag, and hunting in 1 of the 3 1/2 units in Central Oregon, that allow ''Any Bull''. Meaning that I can shoot an Elk having at least 1 visible antler longer than its ears, up to a giant branch bull. Its kind of an insentive to entice elk hunters who didnt draw a tag and wouldnt hunt otherwise if they had to go ''Spike Only''. But like Japple said, ALL and I do mean ALL, the other seasons get to go first and stir em up and break up the main herds into small groups and run em to death before we get to try and find whats left. You just hope for snow so you can get an idea if a bull is in the bunch by the tracks. Its kind of a ''circus'', but 1/2 of the General Season hunters are road hunters(yuk!) so if you get in there a ways theres a chance. Hey at least we get to go elk huntin' right.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 06-23-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
There are about 10 draw units for archery, the rest are all over the counter. But most are any bull, some are any elk and some are spike only. I have 13 preferance points for THE trophy unit! and still have about 4 or 5 years till I draw it! but when I get it there is good oppurtunity to pull a 380+ out of it! 380 bull with a bow is a bull of a lifetime. Especially in OR.
I know exactly where your talking about too. I have a cousin, Big Joe, who was severely injured in a farm accident that left him with little eyesight and ballance. He's all there in the head, infact he's one of the smartest people I know. Anyhow he's been putting in for that tag since he was 13, he finally drew it at 32. He only had 4-5 days he could go, as he wanted his brothers with him for spotting and packing. They got on a good bull 1 day, but couldnt get Big Joe-Suff on him in time. He had a great time, and it was the hunt of a life time for him eventhough he didnt fill his tag.
But ya, if you want a monster (for Oregon anyway) thats THE place to go! Its kinda like our version of Chama or White Mountain, in New Mexico.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Luckily I always archery hunt for elk! So I get first shot at them and get to hunt them in the rut. I had some good success with some decent bulls, but I really want my Wenaha tag! only a few more years (hopefully).