Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

270 Win For Long Range Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: 270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Congrats, how was the bullets terminal performance?[/QUOTE]

I was leading the buck as he was walking at 372 yards so the shot hit him in the neck. I led him too far to put it on the shoulder- my sight picture was not exactly what I wanted when I shot- but God was gracious to me.

It did it's job, the exit hole was an inch, but the bullet didn't meet a lot of resistence. So I can't really tell you about ultimate penetration and expansion.

There are quite a few pictures of the terminal performance of this bullet on Cutting Edges' website at a variety of distances and animals.

This bullet has unbelievable accuracy in my gun. The gun has always been a good hunting shooter- 3/4 inch groups. I usually shot Nosler Ballistic Tip 140s. With this bullet, I am cutting the same hole. The BC is higher and the velocity faster. I think it turns the 270 AI into a viable 1,000 yard deer gun. At the elevations I am hunting this bullet has over 1,100 FT lbs. at 1000 yards.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post
Congrats, how was the bullets terminal performance?

I was leading the buck as he was walking at 372 yards so the shot hit him in the neck. I led him too far to put it on the shoulder- my sight picture was not exactly what I wanted when I shot- but God was gracious to me.

It did it's job, the exit hole was an inch, but the bullet didn't meet a lot of resistence. So I can't really tell you about ultimate penetration and expansion.

There are quite a few pictures of the terminal performance of this bullet on Cutting Edges' website at a variety of distances and animals.

This bullet has unbelievable accuracy in my gun. The gun has always been a good hunting shooter- 3/4 inch groups. I usually shot Nosler Ballistic Tip 140s. With this bullet, I am cutting the same hole. The BC is higher and the velocity faster. I think it turns the 270 AI into a viable 1,000 yard deer gun. At the elevations I am hunting this bullet has over 1,100 FT lbs. at 1000 yards.[/QUOTE]

That does sound like an awesome set up! The new ABLR's should be pretty decent as well in my 270WSM... Can't wait to try them as well.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM

tas wildlife rescue, magazine, issue four, rescue, rehabilitation, release

Hi there! Great rifle photos. I like it. I would like also to share wildlife magazine that details to the first issue till five issue. It also guides you to understand what wildlife is and how to give care to them.

For more details, see this site: Magazine issues - Wildlife Rescue Magazine
Old 12-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: tas wildlife rescue, magazine, issue four, rescue, rehabilitation, release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra22 View Post
Hi there! Great rifle photos. I like it. I would like also to share wildlife magazine that details to the first issue till five issue. It also guides you to understand what wildlife is and how to give care to them.

For more details, see this site: Magazine issues - Wildlife Rescue Magazine
Sandra22, Looks like you're new here, and this post might be better in the varmint section unless you're using a 270 to shoot possums, wombats, platypus and bandicoots. Having not shot those I can't say whats best, but when I was a kid we shot a lot of bats. A 20 gauge, beside a pond in a hollow skylines them in the summer. Percentages are low but the shooting is pretty constant.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: tas wildlife rescue, magazine, issue four, rescue, rehabilitation, release

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Sandra22, Looks like you're new here, and this post might be better in the varmint section unless you're using a 270 to shoot possums, wombats, platypus and bandicoots. Having not shot those I can't say whats best, but when I was a kid we shot a lot of bats. A 20 gauge, beside a pond in a hollow skylines them in the summer. Percentages are low but the shooting is pretty constant.
LL!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Bronze Member

I understand that a faster twist is necesary to stabilize the longer, heavier bullets but what affect does that have on the smaller bullets?
One of the reasons I really like the .270 is being able to load for anything from prairie dogs to elk, but would I lose that if I rebarrel with a faster twist?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

I think you would be fine with the lighter bullets. Hardly ever hurts to have too much twist. The opposite is pretty frustrating!