Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

270 Win For Long Range Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: 270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Lucas,

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for a great article. I have a similar story as yours. I am currently in the process of my first rifle build. The first hunting rifle I ever owned is a very basic Winchester Model 70 in .270 wsm that just doesn't perform to the standard I'd like now that I'm venturing into longer range shooting and hunting. I absolutely love my old girl and she'll always be my favorite. But just like a Vegas trophy wife in her late 30's, she's due for an overhaul. Reading your article certainly put some wind back in my sails with the possibility of making her a true long range candidate. I've done my research and have decided on everything I want in terms of components and will have it all to the smithy once it all gets here. Going with a Lilja #4 sporter contour, 9 twist at 26", HS Precision stock (still haven't decided exactly which model), and a Timney trigger. Action will be getting trued/blueprinted and everything tuned that needs it (still learning about all of this as I'm pretty green in terms of gun building knowledge). It's very exciting to hear that a few higher bc bullets are/will be available too! I already have some loads in mind and will be working on them with my buddy. Anyways, thanks again for the great read, it's certainly lit another fire for me and I'm that much more excited to finish the build and take the next step with 'Ol Betsy.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas270 View Post
thanks for the article!

I am enjoying finding out how far out I can effectively take my custom 270.

would you need a 9 twist barrel to use the 165 gr Matrix bullets?

I've been shooting 130 gr Nosler accubonds with 61.0 gr RL 22 at about 3230 fps and sub 1/2 MOA. Tried going to the 140 accubonds for the higher BC, but lost accuracy and wasn't that much to gain anyway.

thanks for any feedback
i use Hornady SST 150 gr in my 270 out to 525 yds and ive goten 7inc groups out of me tikka t3
Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 AM

I am embroiled in the design of "The Megadyne Model 12 .270, Pumpomatic"
I call it a "Pumpomatic" because it is an autoloader, but the action is a pump.
I Googled, " .270 Chamber Pressure" and you came up first!
My design employs a modified floating breech block. The back pressure is absorbeded by a stack of 1.00 diameter microcellular urethane bumpers after displacinging rollers in ramped detents on either side of the breech block.
The ramp is scheduled to hold the breech block firmly forward against the the cartidge head before firing.
After firing, conical spring washers, held in a "U" shaped member, load the rollers so that they pinch the breech block. The "Pinch" is varied by adjusting the axial load on the roller- spring assembly with a 1.00 inch diameter, frustum shaped, serrated knob on the right side of the receiver. The rearward force necessary to move the breech block back is controlled by the ramps.
I look forward to hearing from anyone who is interested in this design.
My website at: littleredhenenterprises.com is soon to be up, but one must email me for the time being.
Thank You,
"Downright" Dave
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFLshooter View Post
Lucas,

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for a great article. I have a similar story as yours. I am currently in the process of my first rifle build. The first hunting rifle I ever owned is a very basic Winchester Model 70 in .270 wsm that just doesn't perform to the standard I'd like now that I'm venturing into longer range shooting and hunting. I absolutely love my old girl and she'll always be my favorite. But just like a Vegas trophy wife in her late 30's, she's due for an overhaul. Reading your article certainly put some wind back in my sails with the possibility of making her a true long range candidate. I've done my research and have decided on everything I want in terms of components and will have it all to the smithy once it all gets here. Going with a Lilja #4 sporter contour, 9 twist at 26", HS Precision stock (still haven't decided exactly which model), and a Timney trigger. Action will be getting trued/blueprinted and everything tuned that needs it (still learning about all of this as I'm pretty green in terms of gun building knowledge). It's very exciting to hear that a few higher bc bullets are/will be available too! I already have some loads in mind and will be working on them with my buddy. Anyways, thanks again for the great read, it's certainly lit another fire for me and I'm that much more excited to finish the build and take the next step with 'Ol Betsy.
I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it's motivated you to breath new life into your "old trusty" rifle. With all the positive feedback I'll definitely write some more articles. Sounds like you're well on your way to long range hunting/shooting!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Hey guys,

Check this thread. I should have added to this thread but lost patience when trying to find it.

7828ssc in the 270 Win is flat blowing my mind.

The Amazing 270 Win - revisited
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi All,

I arrived a Long Range Hunting when I googled, "Chamber Pressure"

See my post telling about the .270 I am building. It is a couple of posts back.

I want to learn as much about Long range Rifles as quickly as possible.

Please explain why the reviewers give the Savage trigger such high marks.

Thank You,
Dave "The Reluctant Lemming" Ijams
Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downright Dave View Post
Hi All,

I arrived a Long Range Hunting when I googled, "Chamber Pressure"

See my post telling about the .270 I am building. It is a couple of posts back.

I want to learn as much about Long range Rifles as quickly as possible.

Please explain why the reviewers give the Savage trigger such high marks.

Thank You,
Dave "The Reluctant Lemming" Ijams

G-day,
Well a long range Rifle, is a bit different to a hunting rifle, Long Range is all about quality and precision itís Much Higher Quality, most average hunters are happy with a 7 cm group at 100, Iím happy with a 1.5 or smaller.
There is a LOT of BS out about LR shooting/Hunting so donít believe everything, everyone says, most answered youíll get are from ppl at home whit no training (self-thought) LIKE ME ;D

I personally wouldnít like a Savage ACCu trigger for LR shooting Just me..