Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Re: 264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?

During the past year or so, I have worked with two rifles chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum, a custom Sako (24" barrel) and a new Model 70 (26" barrel). I had no previous experience with the cartridge, but had been curious about it since the mid-'60s.

I experimented with six bullets and five powders. Chronographed velocities in the shorter-barreled Sako were either similar to or slightly exceeded Model 70 26" velocities. None were impressive, but I guess I had hoped for the velocities (probably at dangerous pressures) that were published in the 1960s. Each rifle was a one -and one-quarter- inch shooter at best.

Fully understanding and accepting for almost fifty years that this game has little to do with practicality, I'm inclined to agree with those who question the advantage of the .264 Magnum over the standard .270 Winchester. Granted, there is a difference. How much of a real in-the-field difference that may be is up to the individual, ballistic coefficients duly noted.

Being one that doesn't learn from past mistakes, I've seriously contemplated the purchase of a pre-'64 Model 70 Westerner in .264 Magnum, the one that got me interested in the cartridge years ago.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 PM

For me on a personal level, I just wanted one and I had wanted one since '75 when I graduated and an old friend told me it was his favorite whitetail rifle and all the reasons why.

But it had always been a case of wanting one until 2 years ago when I found a nice 700 BDL in .264 in a pawn shop while there just looking around.

I have shot a few more than a box of shells thru it now, all at paper. The first box was Winchester 140 grain Power - Points. After shooting and just getting used to the way it felt and shot, I finished that box up with a 3 shot group at 100 yards that I could cover easily with a quarter.

The nest box was Nosler Trophy Grade 130 grain AccuBonds. My son and I went to a local range last Sunday to see what it would do since I am going deer hunting with it this weekend. The first shot at 100 yards was just low and right of the black center. Zach made the adjustments for me ( I didnt have my glasses ) and the next 2 shots were in 1 egg shaped hole. That 3 shot group was still just under an inch.

Zach needed to shoot his rifle and then leave to meet a buddy to go hunting so we called that good for the time being.

So, answering the question in the title here, 264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?, for me it's just a simple case of I wanted one to hunt with and I got it. I'll be the first to say there are probably faster, or harder hitting or even cheaper to buy factory ammo for than a .264, but, when you want something, that's good enough for me.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
For me on a personal level, I just wanted one and I had wanted one since '75 when I graduated and an old friend told me it was his favorite whitetail rifle and all the reasons why.

But it had always been a case of wanting one until 2 years ago when I found a nice 700 BDL in .264 in a pawn shop while there just looking around.

I have shot a few more than a box of shells thru it now, all at paper. The first box was Winchester 140 grain Power - Points. After shooting and just getting used to the way it felt and shot, I finished that box up with a 3 shot group at 100 yards that I could cover easily with a quarter.

The nest box was Nosler Trophy Grade 130 grain AccuBonds. My son and I went to a local range last Sunday to see what it would do since I am going deer hunting with it this weekend. The first shot at 100 yards was just low and right of the black center. Zach made the adjustments for me ( I didnt have my glasses ) and the next 2 shots were in 1 egg shaped hole. That 3 shot group was still just under an inch.

Zach needed to shoot his rifle and then leave to meet a buddy to go hunting so we called that good for the time being.

So, answering the question in the title here, 264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?, for me it's just a simple case of I wanted one to hunt with and I got it. I'll be the first to say there are probably faster, or harder hitting or even cheaper to buy factory ammo for than a .264, but, when you want something, that's good enough for me.
coy long range 338lapua--I Hunted whitetail deer with a Rem. BDL 264 mag from 1975-1994, had a lot of enjoyment hunting over timber cuts in SC. 140 gr partition- small hole in not to big out no meat wasted. Shot lots of ground hogs in spring & summer- Had my critics, also had plenty of deer & ground hogs 264 is a good shooter, reloaded my ammo-THANKS for sharing that. To get a good group on paper at x-mount of yds. you got to hold right pull the trigger right says -- The Late Jack Oconner,now he was a shooter
Old 11-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster721 View Post
I shoot the 140 Bergers through my 264win @ 3135.. 69g Retumbo

I'll tell you for a fact that-that load right there out-performs a 180grain Berger through a 7mm pipe @ 2900...

Buddy of mine shoots with me about everytime I go out.. his is the 7mm. Comparing impacts on my "mild steel" gongs, past 500 yards the 264 takes a lead.. noticably* At 650 that 180 barely dents the steel... while the 140 outta my 264 gouges an 1/8th-inch deep hole, 3/4 inches in diameter!!! (plate is 3/4"" thick.. heavy stuff)

...at 725, my 264 is still making a dent (& a much-meaner dent at 725 than the 7mm 180 makes at 650) At the same 725, that 7mm 180 is just burning the paint* (...comparable to what 264 140 does to the plate at 840!!!!) That's the difference there.

It's only one example, but plain proof (to me, and buddy) that 264 is a meaner calibre than many give it credit for.. velocity rules the long-range game in my honest opinion... & 264win was intended for the velocity that the 7mm's of same-casings couldn't (& can't) provide...

But... "Y would anyone want one" ???
GOOD Talk GOOD Talk....