Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

10 Ways To Stronger Rifle Field Shooting Positions By Shawn Carlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Sponsor

Re: 10 Ways To Stronger Rifle Field Shooting Positions By Shawn Carlock

Thet do. i once even made a shot using a friends long sitting bipod on the fron and moving my short one to the rear of the stock to shoot from an odd position. Too bad you could not put the buck down.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Great article Shawn,

Particularly like the tips on field shooting with regards to rifle canting.

Most blokes put too much into bench rest shooting so it is great to discuss practical hunting type shots under real conditions.

The tree hook idea is great and I for one will be out in the shed making some up to suit my rifle. I think nailing one onto the side of a tree in a few of my favorite ambush sites would be a real advantage. They can be left there and be ready for use every time I return to the same loaction.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

Very informative Shawn. THANK YOU FOR SHARING

Russ: I have tried and use the stoney point converta pod with the tagalong rear support. I quickly realized it needs a minor modification. The tripod are very slick making the clamps very difficult to stay fimly held at the desired clamp locations. This allows a heavy rifle to slip from the weight downward. I replaced all the bolts with longer boltsand nuts and applied emery paper around the clamp to tightly grip the Tripod braces. Now The entire setup is alot tighter and will setup as I want it to and not alter on its own.

I have read that it is best when using the tagalong to have some kind of support for your elbow. The tagalong rear upright tends to rock side to side very easily in spite of my modifications. A shoulder brace does help. Still trying to get a better solution on this. Perhaps someone else can share their helpful advice.

Best of Luck may the wind stay at your back and your Game fall close by your truck.
ODAVID
Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Great article! Thanks for taking the time to write it and adding the photos. #'s 6,7 & 10 are three of my favorite skills/challenges to work on.

A rifle fitting article would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
I'm a firm believer in practice makes perfect, but cannot figure out how to practice the angled shots when I live in flat country. Do you have any suggstions? Even shooting an accurate pellet gun at targets in trees would help, but I'm at a loss for targets and how to get them up off the ground.
FWIW When I was a youngin we used to practice shooting acorns and pine cones with our pellet rifles for squirrel hunting. Then there is just shooting squirrels themselves.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

Do you make up a range card with your different positions or does your effective range even change with odd positions?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Sponsor

I don't make different range cards for different positions but I know my distance limitation is effected by certain positions and conditions. I don't like shooting off of stix from sitting very much but sometimes that is your only option. I just know I cannot shoot as far off the stix as I can prone.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659