Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

10 Ways To Stronger Rifle Field Shooting Positions By Shawn Carlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 10 Ways To Stronger Rifle Field Shooting Positions By Shawn Carlock

Great article Shawn!

After I got my 338 Edge from you back in the spring, I quickly learned that it is hard to find a place where I live in Georgia to shoot beyond 600 yards. The Edge lived up to my expectations, shooting 3" groups on a steel target at 600 yards.

I really wish I had practiced more field positions -- most of my field shooting was done prone with a bipod or sitting on the ground with Stoney Point tripod sticks. I never felt steady enough on the sticks, even with the Stoney Point rear support arm.

Fast forward to the 1st week of November in NW Colorado -- 3rd rifle season for elk and mulies. On the last morning my old friend, Dave, spotted a bull bedded down across the canyon. I ranged him at 648 yards and Dave said "Get ready!" I struggled for several minutes to find a steady position on the slope we were on, and after 3 tries I finally settled in resting my right side and elbow on top of our packs and and against a rock with the rifle resting on the sticks in the front and on the packs in back.

I felt steady, so all we had to do was get the bull to stand up.

He finally stood up and walked to the left, stopping in an opening in the oak brush.

The shot felt great, then Dave said "You either shot through him or over him. I saw snow kick up behind him but I cannot see him now -- he must be down!" We waited quite awhile and I stayed on the rifle ready to shoot again if the bull got up. That was when we took these pictures. After about 15 minutes I had to stand up, so Dave got back into his spotting position and kept watch.

The bull was a 5 x 3. I have shot bigger bulls, but this was my longest shot ever so I was really happy! I "double lunged" him and the 300 grn SMK hit a rib going in on the bull's left side and apparently blew up -- there was a 1-1/2" entry hole in the hide! There were 2 exit holes inside the right rib cage -- one hole about 1/4" and another hole next to it about 3/4", but only 1 small hole through the hide on the far side. But, the lungs were a mess.

Then the work began!

Thanks again for the great article and the fantastic rifle, Shawn! I hope to take one of your classes in 2009.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Sponsor

Glad I could help out. Hope to see you in 09 also. That was a great shot from real field position. I have seen the 300 SMK bend and break into 2 pieces many times just like you described at "closer" ranges, like 700 and in. This effect does not seem as common beyond 700-800 yards.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like a winner! (the how to fit a LR gun article.) I'll look forward to it.

Last edited by esshup; 12-11-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

howard3,
Thanks for sharing that story and pics. I love this stuff!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Shawn great artical i will definitely be using some of those tips in my practice for next hunting season. I like shooting at things like milk jugs and pop bottles fillled with water for practice they give a nice pop when you hit them
i have two questions
first have you tried the stoney point converta pod with the tag along (here are the links http://theconsumerlink.com/STONEYPOI...+T3T38-BXX/110 , http://theconsumerlink.com/STONEYPOI.../TCL+CP112/111)
second is that the remington 700 xcr receiver that you have base your gun in the photos off of.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Sponsor

I have tried the stony point system an found it to not really be to my liking. I much prefer other positions or setups. I found it hard to spot my own shot from.
The recveiver you see in the photos is a standard stainless 700.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn

I was out with my daughter today and we were trying to finish off somebody else's wounded buck. The slope was so steep the bipod legs were collapsing on her, so I loosened the clamp nut up and grabbed the legs and spun them around 180 degrees so they locked up and tightened them down. The poor little buck got over the ridge before she could shoot

Have you ever tested whether a rifle will shoot to the same POI with the bipod reversed?