Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

So slow!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: So slow!

There are some underlying issues that cause that ( slow load on your browser).

One is your browser settings and how it handles cookies that you can address, depending on your browser and....

Two, the server space (rack space) that Len Backus leases to carry this site. plus the platform itself (V-bulletin). V-bulletin has internal issues, always has. While it's the accepted standard for websites, there are other platforms out there. Problem is changing over to another platform once you establish V-bulletin. Changing over to another vehicle is expensive not only expensive, but time consuming and of course there is off time, where the site would be offline for a time period. No site equals no income and no income equals unpaid expense. It's a viscious cycle.

Finally, the third is what is running in the background on your computer and on the server providing the 'pipeline' for this site. There are always firewalls running to keep malicious content out both on your home computer and on Len's lease space,

Each time you log on, your background firewall, Norton or AGW or whatever you run, checks the authenticity of the site and scans the input to insure that it's not malicious, same thing happens on the server end. That all takes time.

There are thousands of malicious programs out there that can attack your computer and Len's as well. Many people spend their, what could be productive time, coding crap to infect computers....hackers.

If the world was a place free of malicious activity and no firewalls or malicious software checking programs, every site would load quickly and all would be well and good. It isn't.......

For safety and peace of mind plus the longevity of your hardware and Len's, the slow load becomes a fact of life......
Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

I guess with my high speed cable I'm one of the lucky ones because mine very seldom takes more than several seconds to load, post, etc.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Bronze Member

I have problems everytime I'm on this site. Other similar sites have no such issues.
On a rather consistent basis pages are stuck in the loading process and you have to go back and forth to get anywhere.
Like the site but don't understand why this hasn't been addressed.
Fred
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

It may be in your computer settings because eveything loads fine for me and I've not heard of any other members saying they are having real bad problems with the site like you are.