Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

Setting an Avatar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Setting an Avatar

Where do you link an avatar to your profile?

By the way I think this is a great site!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

As near as I know you can't currently have an Avatar linked to your sig. that shows up with your name on each thread like some sites do. I would also guess that it's not a feature that will be made available.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:10 AM
he fixes stuff

The avatar is the small image that goes next to your name at the top left of each post. The signature area is at the bottom of each post and it can also have images and other graphics. The forum software can be configured to allow both and to limit the sizes of images/graphics used. I think it's a nice feature and I suspect that Len just hasn't had time to configure it yet. It can be different for specific user groups, so it's not just about turning it on or off.

It does take server space, but if the images are kept to a reasonable size (I would consider the small image in Dick's signature, at 32KB, too large a file size), the server the site is on now should be able to handle it nicely. In the end, though, it's up to Len.

Jim
PS: Dick, give my attachment a whirl. That's only 6KB and has a slightly smaller footprint too (only the height was changed).
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Jim:

I made it a whole lot smaller. I just raised the top a hair on yours to include all of the top turret.

One thing I've seen done on some forums is to only show the picture in the sig line of a person on their first post of a page. Any additional posts on that page don't show the sig picture. that would save a lot of space.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

Senior,-Senior

can use a bit of assistance, please, in that the Revolutionary War Veterans Association does exist and does have a patch I wish to post as my avitar but I haven't a clue on step by step procedures.. all instructions greatly appreciated. Cordially, Overbore
Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

overbore:

If you haven't posted pictures before you might want to read this thread.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ead.php?t=9502

This is from the FAQs
"Avatars are small graphical images that you may choose in your profile. They are displayed by your username on all posts that you make. You can select the image that best describes yourself from your profile options."

Actually an avatar is what is typically inserted at the very left of a post under your username. As of now they aren't enabled here.

If you just want to put a picture of the patch you talk about in your signature you can simply host a picture of it as described in the link to the thread above. Then modify your signature and insert the picture under your signature similar to what you see in my signature. You need to keep the size very small.;)

If you need more help etc. just pm me and we can get it done.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Has anything changed since 7-26-07?
I have looked a couple of times at adding a Avatar
and have not figured out how.
I like the Idea of an Avatar better than having a photo
in my signature since people reconize YOU when they
read the next post.
Just a thought and was wondering if I could set a Avatar.
Mike