Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

Saving Password and Username Upon Login

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Saving Password and Username Upon Login

Just wandering, I cant get my puter to save my username and password. I am running windows vista home premium and IE9. Have checked all my settings for IE. Did a little research on google and saw a mention that it could possible be something with the website. Dont get me wrong I am not criticizing this website, what I mean is maybe something with the websites security or settings. Just asking so I know whether to further pursue the issue with my computer. If it is the website itself then I know my computer is working properly.

Thank You,
Steve
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
he fixes stuff

Re: Saving Password and Username Upon Login

Hi Steve,

I'm the guy Len sometimes calls on to deal with security and other website glitches. Although I am proud to say this site is very secure, it's not all my doing. The software we use is very well coded by program and software experts with many years of success at keeping it secure. Even though there have been some modifications to enhance the user experience here, nothing has been done to prevent normal use of the site.

If there were any issue with the settings of the site that prevented members from saving their user names or passwords, we would have hundreds, maybe even thousands of complaints just like yours. The very few problems similar to yours that I have been aware of over the years has to do with your browser cookie settings.

You see, your user name and password, along with other information regarding what topics and posts you read when you visit, are set in a cookie. That cookie is set to expire after 30 days, but some users set their browser options to delete cookies sooner than that. I believe you can set your browser to delete cookies for any amount of time, including when you close the browser. You might also have an automatic scan for malware and viruses that is giving your LRH cookie a false positive (I have a scanner that doesn't like any cookie) and deleting them.

You didn't mention what your browser's cookie settings were, or whether you have upgraded to the latest stable version of IE or have the latest Vista updates (Windows Updates come out on Tuesdays, when they are available). You can easily test this problem you are having with LongRangeHunting.com by using an alternative browser, if you have one. I'm not saying another browser is better, just that another browser might be useful for testing purposes.

If you don't have another browser to test with, the list below might help and any of them can be installed within minutes and uninstalled when you are done, if you wish.

Firefox
Chrome
Opera

Please let us know if that didn't help you determine the problem.

R'gards,

Teh Fixer

Last edited by Teh Fixer; 05-03-2012 at 03:57 PM.