Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

Problem navigating forums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Problem navigating forums?

Len, I'm having trouble backing out of threads and forum topics. At least half the time when I have read a thread and the replies, I have trouble backing out of the thread/reply pages and then the topic page trying to get back to the main forum page. Also have trouble backing out of the P/M pages. What happens is that I sometimes have to click on the BACK window 2 or 3 times and sometimes it just locks up and I have to punch out.

It is entirely possible that it's my computer, but it doesn't do this on any other site, I.E. 6BR, Wby Rifles, and Wby Nation.

I had a tech go through my machine and he said it was O. K. but I was at the lease when he came and he didn't actually log on to LRH.

If no one else has had this problem, I'll get him to come back when I'm here.

Sorry this post is so long. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 02-25-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: add "post"
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Problem navigating forums?

Not Len but I can tell you what works for me and what I've found.

Sometimes when you go to another page you may view an external link or something similar. If you were to watch your forward and back buttons, you'll notice your back button becoming non functional for, what seems like, no good reason.

This is one of the many reasons I use Firefox although IE has tabbed browsing also. I generally start on "Todays Posts" when I come on line. I keep this open and if I want to read a thread I open it in a new tab. Then when I'm done it's quick and easy to close the tab and the original "Todays Posts" is still open in the original tab. No waiting for the page to close and another page to open back up because it's already open and sitting there waiting for you to come back.

Just a thought and I know tabbed browing isn't for everyone but with use it sure makes life easier, at least for me. Also, I make a habbit of deleting my cache and all cookies that aren't allowed and saved after each online session. Cache and cookies can cause problems also.

I will say that I don't notice the problem you talk about on LRH but with tabbed browsing I don't think I would. I will also say that even with tabbed browsing I've notice that the ability to "go back" on some sites goes away at times and I never really give it much thought as normally it's not an issue.

With the PM thing, all of my PMs get opened in a new window and that leaves the original open and waiting just like the tabbed browsing.

Maybe Len will have some better technical infor for you as far as the LRH site goes and your problem. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 AM
PUBLISHER

I do what Dick describes on all sites, not just ours.

Last year my computer was getting a little sluggish. When it failed to boot one week I replaced it and the new one was way faster. Sometimes computers are a mystery.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Dick and Len, thanks for the replies. My computer and I are both old and most of Dick's info is like Greek to me. I just recently learned how to send pictures by email. It's frustrating as hell. I can barrel a rifle and kill large wild animals and eat them, but can't master a computer. It's probably attitude. I still think that computers are just a fad and won't catch on.

Fortunately, my wife is computer literate, and I think she is planning on replacing my computer, (and maybe me).

Thanks again, and good hunting. Tom

Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

I'm not Bill Gates or even a computer guy.....But I 100% agree on the tabbed browsing and Firefox.

Tom...go here to download it: Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable

It's another internet browser like Internet Explorer, but it doesn't have the bugs IE has. It's also not targeted as much as IE by hackers and virus engineers...so by cruising around the Internet, you're going to expose your 'puter and the data on it to less.....risk.

The tabbed browsing....go to your webpage in Firefox. Right click on the topic or thread....a box will open....left click on "Open in new tab". Bam...read new topic or thread. Buy new thing in classifieds....then you can click the little red box for that tab to make it hide your new purchase and close the tab. No backing up and bogging down.

About it bogging down when attempting to back out...like ss7mm said, a clean cache and internet history can help.

Computer speed is based on many things...but for browsing, it doesn't take much computer for it seem "fast".

If/when the wife looks to replace you and the computer...she should look at hard drive RPM (7200+ RPM) if you want a computer that seems "fast".

I'm hoping my thoughts on "texting" being a fad isn't a sign of things to come for me ;).....

Last edited by Autorotate; 02-25-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

I asked about the new computer. It's definitely a "go". My future isn't so definite.

I will get Firefox loaded on it instead of I/E. Don't know about the texting thing though. My grandchildren talk about it, but I'm not so sure they know what they're talking about. They swear that my cell phone has a camera in it. What a load of crap!

Autorotate, thanks for the link to Firefox. Try to stay warm.

Good hunting, Tom

Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

specweldtom,
I having the exact same probs that you are. JohnnyK.