Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

LRH Page loading time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 04:43 PM
he fixes stuff

Re: LRH Page loading time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbofus View Post
I will try a few thing tonite when I get home
Like clearing your browser's cache. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba41 View Post
same here . my mac is 3 days old and it still take time to load... internet is fine
Sorry, not enough technical details to go on. Please be specific.

I have learned that ad blockers can slow page load speeds too. The ads will still load in the background and your ad-blocking software uses resources to block them. That equals fewer or no ads, but more time to load a page.

Jim
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

FYI Sir, I also no longer receive daily emails from one of the forums that I have subscribed to. I have gone back to the forum several times in the last few days and unsubscribed, left the site, re-entered the site, gone back to the forum, and then re-subscribed. All still without success. This started occurring around the same time the load time issues began.

Love the site, drive on.

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 PM
he fixes stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
FYI Sir, I also no longer receive daily emails from one of the forums that I have subscribed to.
Add len@longrangehunting.com to your safe senders list. Then you have to wait for someone to reply to a topic you have subscribed to (don't wait here on LRH, wait while doing other stuff). You will only get notified when someone else replies, not when you have replied or while the system still thinks you are in that thread.

Jim
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Fixer View Post
Like clearing your browser's cache. ;)

Please forgive me here but how do I do that,
Last time I tried to fix my computer I ended up with a blue screen and a new hard drive.

It must be my home system because the work computer is much faster.

MB

Last edited by Teh Fixer; 03-12-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:51 PM
he fixes stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbofus View Post
Please forgive me here but how do I do that,
Last time I tried to fix my computer I ended up with a blue screen and a new hard drive.
You didn't tell me what browser, but here is a how-to for all the popular browsers. Click the link and then scroll down to the browser you use and follow the instructions. 14 Ways to Clear Your Browser's Cache - wikiHow

Quote:
It must be my home system because the work computer is much faster.
A computer is not the only thing to consider. You should also consider the type of Internet connection/ISP you have, the operating system and the browser versions.

Jim
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info,
I will look it up.
I hate to sound like a computer dummy but I am just a little shy of trying to fix my computer after the last time. (the wife prohibites me from trying)

PS: This issue with loading time started a few weeks back, prior to that there were no issuses.

MB
Old 03-13-2014, 03:07 PM
he fixes stuff

If page load speeds became a problem a few weeks ago, did you notice any page load speeds on other sites you frequent? If so, maybe it's a problem associated with a degradation of the Internet connection through your ISP. Try testing it here: Speakeasy Speed Test and compare it to what your ISP indicated would be your speeds.

Do you do regular maintenance on your car, rifles and house? Your computer is no different. You should be scanning for malware at least once a month, more often if you are not the only one using your computer.

Being a "computer dummy" is not an excuse for lack of proper maintenance. Ask someone you trust to give your machine the once-over occasionally. Visit sites that specialize in computer issues and ask for help, just like you do when it comes to hunting or other passions. There are plenty of people out there who enjoy helping those that need it.

I gave you a link to a site that explains in simple terms how to clear the cache of every major browser. Find yours in the list and follow the 3 or 4 steps of their instructions. It's not going to hurt your computer if you read the instructions carefully and follow them precisely.

Jim