Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

LRH Page loading time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: LRH Page loading time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
And please read this thread. Following the advice in it has helped many people.

Keep your computer clean and fast and enjoy LRH

Thanks Len, will do.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Fixer View Post
I moved this thread to the Website & Forum Support section.

The server move was made a week ago and was accomplished with very few glitches. We haven't heard about any member problems until today though. None of you mentioned when the problems began. I'd also be interested in knowing about your Internet connections. The testing we have done on page load speeds have been disappointing, but they have been in seconds, not minutes. Of course, it depends on your own computers and its Internet connection/Internet Service Provider.

Have you noticed the problem on specific pages, or all pages? Have you noticed that the main content loads, but images take longer to load? You should still be able to scroll and read content while images load.

We are continuing to work on this and I'm sorry if you are having a poor experience. Please share any details you can that will help us sort this out.

Thanks,

Jim, LRH webmaster
Same here also. This occurs mostly when I'm going back to a previous page. I too hit the 'stop' button if the page doesn't load after a minute or so and it pops up... most of the time. Sometimes I just give up and close the page and reload. Now I know why! Ya'll aren't the same folks who work for Pelosi and those Obummer care folks, are ya?? lol I'm using Google Chrome.

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Fixer View Post
I moved this thread to the Website & Forum Support section.

The server move was made a week ago and was accomplished with very few glitches. We haven't heard about any member problems until today though. None of you mentioned when the problems began. I'd also be interested in knowing about your Internet connections. The testing we have done on page load speeds have been disappointing, but they have been in seconds, not minutes. Of course, it depends on your own computers and its Internet connection/Internet Service Provider.

Have you noticed the problem on specific pages, or all pages? Have you noticed that the main content loads, but images take longer to load? You should still be able to scroll and read content while images load.

We are continuing to work on this and I'm sorry if you are having a poor experience. Please share any details you can that will help us sort this out.

Thanks,

Jim, LRH webmaster

Very much the same with me as others…. The pretty green trees and landscape load first…. Then the ads…. finally the content..
It varies with no rhyme or reason….
sometimes it is 3-9 seconds… others it is a couple minutes…

I have not changed anything… and I have noticed it since the upgrade…
Not sure what was upgraded but this is what I have seen…
Thanks
Mario
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

those are pretty green trees, but thats what I see most of the time.
Once in a while it works like lightning, but most of the time after a few tries I just call it quits.

Windows 8 with mcafee security using fire fox and even slower with IE

it just took a count of 91 to open this forum, a count of 52 to go from page 1 to 2 and then a count on 132 after i hit the reply button to write this.

Maybe its my home computer, I will try it at work tomorrow.

love the site but the upgrade has somehow affected me.

Greg
Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM
he fixes stuff

I'd be interested in knowing the results of your computer at work. No matter what testing service I use on the Internet, the speed is never more than 10 seconds. The only time I have ever recorded speeds like you describe are when we were under a recent DoS attack and dialup speeds.

Our upgrade was to a new server, from a VPS to a dedicated box. Faster CPU, more and faster RAM and a faster Hard Drive. The transfer was done on 2/27/14. We experienced some initial issues, but that was, to some degree, an issue with browser caching of the old server IP address. Many of the issues were resolved by clearing browser caches, so you might try that.

The pictures below are results of 4 speed tests I did just minutes ago. I performed tests at 3 other services and got similar results. Only one service showed results from about 25-68 seconds and those were all dialup results for modems at 33.6K, 28.8K and 14.4K. I can't test every single page, but I have been testing the most popular landing pages.

From a personal perspective, Len, his son and I have all felt pages were loading faster than they did on the old server. Unscientific, but noticeable speed increase. But I will continue to work on optimizing the resources we have to give members and visitors to LRH the best and fastest experience I can.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
LRH Page loading time-pingdom-test1.gif   LRH Page loading time-pingdom-test2.gif  

LRH Page loading time-pingdom-test3.gif   LRH Page loading time-pingdom-test4.gif  

Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

fixer,

The work computer is much faster than home, but still with a little lag time.
last nites trail was exceptionally slower than earlier in the day,
I will try a few thing tonite when I get home

Greg
Old 03-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

same here . my mac is 3 days old and it still take time to load... internet is fine