Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

little green man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

little green man

I frequent this site through an android system, whether tablet or smartphone. Sometimes ( especially recently ) I have a banner that comes up at the bottom of the screen. I have never really paid much attention to detail with it. I just hit the "x", and move on. But I do remember a little green fellow on the ad. I was wandering if anyone else sees this. What can I do to make sure my systems are safe while on this site?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:46 PM
he fixes stuff

Re: little green man

It might help to know what browser your mobile device is using.

This site uses 3rd-party advertisements, so we wouldn't know what ad you are seeing without more information. Perhaps your system has a screenshot app.

I've heard that there isn't any effective antivirus apps for Andriod (or iPhone/Pad). But LRH is fully protected with redundant systems. There has been the occasional report of a virus or malware, as there are on many other large sites, but scans have found no malicious software on our server. Our website software is free of any known exploits and our server has been recently upgraded and patched to deal with the Heartbleed exploit that has been in the news lately.

Jim, LRH webmaster
Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 AM
Silver Member

Google chrome.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
he fixes stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever View Post
Google chrome.
Aaaand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Fixer View Post
...we wouldn't know what ad you are seeing without more information. Perhaps your system has a screenshot app.
Help me help you.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Fixer View Post
It might help to know what browser your mobile device is using.
It hasn't popped up since I ask about it. If and when it does I will screenshot it.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

Here are the screen shots you requested.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
little green man-screenshot_2014-04-22-12-04-12.jpg   little green man-screenshot_2014-04-22-12-04-22.png  

Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 PM
he fixes stuff

Thanks for the screenshots. That appears to be coming from a dynamic ad that knows you are using a mobile device (through the use of cookies). Some of our advertisers use ads that are presented only to mobile device users and we don't have any control over that. It is not malicious - it won't cause any harm to your device. At least the X is large enough to be tapped without the system mistaking it for a click to their website.

I will make Len aware of this thread. I'm not sure what can be done to prevent advertisers from taking advantage of the latest technology. It has to be just as frustrating as when I am watching a TV program on Hulu and an ad comes on at 10 times the volume because they know that is when viewers like me bolt for the frig or toilet - they just gotta make sure we hear the ad.

Jim