Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Administration > Website & Forum Support

Website & Forum Support Questions On How The Forum and Website Works

Can't delete my old posts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Can't delete my old posts

Can't delete my old posts. Some are almost a year old, and not revelant anymore. Need Help. Ron
Old 12-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Can't delete my old posts

That's the way the site software works. You can't delete your old posts.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

How do you clear out the old stuff. I have old posts, almost 2 years old taking up server space.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
That's the way the site software works. You can't delete your old posts.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of our members, and especially new members, read the old posts. We run on a dedicated server that Len pays for so if he is ok with the load of older posts then that's probably how things will stay.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
A lot of our members, and especially new members, read the old posts. We run on a dedicated server that Len pays for so if he is ok with the load of older posts then that's probably how things will stay.

I do some moderating at another forum. We have the software set up to allow for very limited editting(time limited), and no removal of anything posted by members after a certain amount of time elapses.

Couple of reasons:
#1: If member becomes unhappy and decides to leave the forum, information will not be lost for members searching for answers to questions.
#2: Especially in the "Classifieds".....member protection in case of a 'bad deal'(Although we have it stated we are not responsible for bad deals, we still try to help the person that got screwed by having the original information in the post)
#3: Big 'holes' would be left by deleting things.
#4: Totals look 'weak', meaning if things are deleted the search engines can't find the website to direct you to it.

Scott
Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Scott: We also have those settings and reasons, plus many others, I just don't usually go into detail because it's all been brought up before.

When a site runs as seamless and smooth as LRH does people sometimes think things should be different or that certain things should be changed. The problem is that they don't know what goes on in the background, and why.

I personally think that given the thousands of possible combinations of ways a site could be set up that LRH runs pretty smooth.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

OK,..................If it's not broken, don't fix it. Since you explained it, now I understand and I will not worry about my old posts. Thank You. Ron

Other forums want that stuff deleted, that's why I asked.

Quote:
Scott: We also have those settings and reasons, plus many others, I just don't usually go into detail because it's all been brought up before.

When a site runs as seamless and smooth as LRH does people sometimes think things should be different or that certain things should be changed. The problem is that they don't know what goes on in the background, and why.

I personally think that given the thousands of possible combinations of ways a site could be set up that LRH runs pretty smooth.