Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 AM

Re: Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

First post to this site, two questions:
1. Suggestions on an affordable scope to mount on a Savage 111 in 7mm RUM?
2. Comments on the 7mm RUM itself? I was recently on another site and it was getting trashed pretty hard.

I bought three of the Savage 111s in 7mm RUM; one for me and one for each of my sons. At $275 each, NIB, I couldn't pass it up. I'm not a reloader yet, but am looking for a used Rockchucker in good shape (I read the new ones are made in China and the quality has really declined). At $64.00/box, reloading will quickly pay off. I don't want to spend a fortune on a scope, am a "bang for the buck" guy (excuse the pun). I would to push the 500yd envelope. How much magnification do I need to pull that off? Thanks all for the input and recommendations.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

if you will read the article Ian wrote on this subject, it will answer all your questions i think. go to the first post on here and click on it......where did you find a deal like that on a savage? i would be interested in one...AJ
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I read the article and then checked out the Bushnell referenced in the article at SWFA. Looks like what I need, but 10x seemed a bit less than what I thought I might need. I bought the rifles at Larry's Guns in Huntsville, AL. I bought one of them last year. Then, I was in his shop a couple weeks ago looking for a Savage in .243 with a AccuTrigger. He didn't have any, but had the Marlins with their version of the AccuTrigger, but I didn't know anything about them, so passed. I asked Larry if he had anything in a 7mm Mag, but all he had was the Marlin. I mentioned to Larry I had bought the 7mm RUM from him a year ago and that I sure wished he had some of those left. He said "I've got four left in the back, two synthetic and two wood". I bought the two wood stocks he had left. I'm not sure if he still has the two synthetic stocks left, but you could look up the number and give him a call. I figured it was too good a deal to pass up. Larry said he bought the last ones Savage had a year ago. I guess they didn't sell because of the rumors that you only get 50 shots out of a barrel, that the caliber is going away because it never caught on, the "you don't need that much power", or the popularity of the short mags, or all the above. Regardless, I couldn't let it go. Good luck, let me know if pick one up from Larry's. I don't know if there's a better deal anywhere. I bought into the Savage line without REALLY knowing a lot about them, other than I read a lot of reviews about how accurate they are out of the box. I know they're a high end rifle, but I'm all about the "mostest for the leastest", and I think my cheap little Savage will hold its own against the Rems, Winnys, Brownies and just about anything else out there. Wadda ya think....
Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

Hi Ian and others....

I've read through the article and post and have a couple questions regarding fixed versus variable power. My hunting experience has given me opportunities from 50yds out to 600+ (which I have not taken). I'm a bit nervous in considering a fixed power scope.

In the scopes mentioned in the article, do you have any concerns wtih their equivalent varable power scopes? In terms of repeatability, clarity, reliability, etc...what should I be aware of when comparing fixed and variable power? I know that price is more, but I'm wondering if there are other things I should consider.

It seems like you get a lot for your money with fixed power, but I'm still nervous. I have a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 right now and I've thought that if I want to stretch my shots out to 600-800yds I would need something with higher mag, so I was looking at a variable power that goes up to the 14X to 20X range on the high end.

Price is an issue, but I'm not constrained to the $200 range. Having said that, I cannot spend the $1000+ it would take to get a Nightforce or high end Leupold, etc. I would be happy to get something for under $500 if it meets my needs.

Also, since the article was written over a year ago I wonder how the market lalndscape and offerings has changed.

Sorry for all the question - I was going to try and be concise. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member

I have a bushnell elite 3200 5-15X with turrets and a mil dot on a .243 I love this scope! It is great and I got it for under 300.00 new!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Thanks coyote...

I notice that this 3200 does not have a focus/paralax adjustment. How is focus on this scope at the higher magnifications?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Another question.

I notice that this scope is around $365 right now and I find a Nikon Monarch 4-16x for around $415.

I've had good luck with other Nikon gear. Would anyone have an opinion on the Monarch's versus the Bushy 3200 head to head?

My impression (only from reading) has been that the Monarchs are a step above the 3200's...maybe on par with the 4200's??