Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 AM
SPONSOR

I don't know when it will be offered or even if for sure.
Here is a pic of it on a 6.5-284 XP that my son used to down a doe antelope this year at the 265 yard mark.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Nice set up and some nice shooting!

Frank D
Old 11-04-2007, 02:37 PM

[quote=specweldtom;169240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post

I just ordered a peep sight from Midway , in hopes that that may work & I may not have to scope the rifle . Hope not .

Trying to cope with aging eyes .

WT. I just finished a .280 Rem that I built for iron sights. Used an old Lyman 48 long slide rear and a Lyman 93 front globe fitted to a Rem ramp.

My right eye, (master of course) had cataracts so bad that I couldn't even bore sight with it anymore. Had cataract surgery 2 mos. ago and am almost back to 20/20. I shot match rifle and service rifle so long that I got very comfortable and confident with iron and I really like the clean look and feel of a rifle with iron sights.

With practice, an aperture rear and post front are very fast and can approach m.o.a. accuracy. Aperture rear and front on a black bull can comfortably beat 1 m.o.a. if the rifle is up to it. I used to love 600 yd belly shooting with both setups and could stay in the 190's with either. I don't expect to do that now, but do expect 1 - 2 moa on targets. We'll see.

On edit: I forgot to ask Plinker if the .17 HMR is still good at 250-300 yds. I like them, but don't know much about them.

Ian, I apologize for getting off the topic, but us geezers got to stick together. I hope the iron works out for WT, and for me too.

Tom

Well , the peep sight did not work , at least with my present tri-focals . :-(

If I had a pair of glasses made up with the perscription of my middle lens ..........

Ended up buying a used Fullfiels II 3x9 off of EBay . Have it installed on my new ballard rifleings Marlin .45-70 .

Have not shot it yet .

God bless
Wyr
Old 11-04-2007, 08:44 PM

I believe Hakko is the the actual mfg of the SS scopes.....
Old 11-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphunter View Post
I don't know when it will be offered or even if for sure.
Here is a pic of it on a 6.5-284 XP that my son used to down a doe antelope this year at the 265 yard mark.

Ernie... what kind of scope is on the XP?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Another great article! I have used both the Elite 3200 10x40 and the SWFA SS 10x42 with the same experience. I would add the Falcon fixed 10x to the list, I've got buddies that use it with great sucess. Falcon also makes variable power models that could suit guys worried about target acquisition at close range.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Low Priced Long Range Scopes, by Ian McMurchy. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion.
Hello to all
I have just been a member of this forum for 5 mins, and i don,t know where to start

I am in Brantford Ontario and am looking out for a reasonable long range scope, i know very little about these scopes except what i have just read on Cabela,s website

i would be looking at a scope that can be used at distancs of 100 to 400 yards most of the time. This would be mounted on a rem 700 sps

Am i right in thinking i would be getting a better deal by buying on line from a dealer from somewhere in the US,,,,,,,,,,,,never done that yet