Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

There are a couple of interesting scopes on the market since that was written. Nikon has an ED long range scope in their Monarch series that is very sharp and reasonably priced. Also the new Bushnell 6500 scopes are amazing performers in my tests. Both of these scope are not in the lowest price range but much more reasonably priced than the big boys. Both offer lots of magnification, adequate adjustment range to reach out and superb optics for the money. The Nikon is a one inch tube whereas the 6500's are 30mm. Scopes just keep getting better. Will be interesting when Leupold brings out the replacement for the VariX111's this coming SHOT show.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

The 5-15X elite does have an AO adjustment and the mil dot for correst use is set at 12X but with a little math you can use it at any setting, I like have the turrets to adjust if I have the time or set it to 12X and be on with my mil dot retical. I keep it on 6X most of the time as that works well for calling in most coyotes.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

Sorry - I'm new to some of the nomenclature here...

What does AO stand for? Is it a focal adjustment at the eye piece instead of at the turrets? Does it work reasonably well on the 3200?

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
Sorry - I'm new to some of the nomenclature here...

What does AO stand for? Is it a focal adjustment at the eye piece instead of at the turrets? Does it work reasonably well on the 3200?

Thanks again.
AO is Adjustable Objective, the parallax adjustment is on the objective end. My opinion is that Nikon's glass is much better than Bushnell's. Nikon is supposed to have the interchangable turrets for the lower powerd Monarchs now also.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:28 PM

I just finished reading Ian's article on low cost long rnage scopes. Damn I wish he was around to reply to this himself.... What a great loss to the hunting and outdoors community. I guess I should get to the point. I have been looking at the osprey 4-16 x50 tacticle as an entry level scope. I have a .257 sub-moa that I have been wanting to put a leupold mark-4 on. But alas, The sub-moa has been sitting patiently waiting for a scope. I can't take the rifle sitting and not being able to shoot it any longer. But I can't afford the scope I want at this time. Does anyone have any experience with the Osprey line of scopes?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM

You can save your zero setting by taking a red sharpie and color in the first rotation then maybe a blue for the next rotation, and so on, then simply turn back to the bottom of the red mark to reset your zero it's, that simple.

Live long and shoot well

Rick

Last edited by Savageman110; 09-14-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 PM

WOW, what an outstanding article! I have shot elk and antelope at 500 yards with both my .300 and .338 Win Mags with Sightron scopes, but missed at 629 yards.

I've been wanting to start longer range shooting but like so many others, I can't afford to pay $1000-$2000 for a scope. I looked into NightForce and Huskemaw scopes, but they cost a bunch.

Anyway, I wanted to know how to get started.
I reload my own rounds so I know my bullet and powder weights and can look up my bullet coefficient. I also just purchased a chronograph to measure the speed f the bullet, so how do I know which turret I need?

Also, where can I purchase one of these SS scopes in Montana?