Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Long Range Targets By Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

I'm glad you liked the video Ian. I have a harder time getting older guys to come out shooting with me. My dad came once but he's pretty busy. When we set up we don't usually have a designated spotter position, we take turns and pass the spotting scope arround. It's great to hear about you guys getting your kids involved...my 5 year old son is quite a marksman, having no problem shooting eggs and clay pigeons from 130yds away. I can't wait to get him into high power! I have been blown away by how fast he learns.

It was 26 degrees out and he refused to take a break and warm up in the car.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Land ,
Great image of your boy, he is right into shooting that rifle. That is one of the real joys of this site, seeing the youngsters enjoying target shooting and hunting with their parents. So many kids will never have the opportunity to experience shooting or the outdoors, sure is a shame. Congratulations on starting your new shooter, wish you and him lots of great times together. A friend yesterday told me his four year old grandson had called to ask what rifle would be good for elephants, then wanted to know what would be good for kudu. He must have been watching something from Africa because he lives in northern Saskatchewan. Thanks for sharing that fine image, tell him he looks like a real shooter and if he ever comes to Saskatchewan he can come out and shoot with me anytime! I bet he could teach me a thing or two!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Chawlston

Ian,

Great article.

Chawlston
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Writers Guild

Damn, that kid has good form. Glad he enjoys it cause it is a great time as he gets bigger and guns get louder

Ian, great article and makes the winter even more irritating. Hopefully, Feb will see the weather warm up enough for the access road to clear and we can go shoot LR on the snow.

Fun, fun, fun....

I think you would really enjoy shooting where I am. Quite a few trees, sandy/dusty soil, shooting into the side of a hill. LOTS OF ROCKS!!!!

Jerry
Old 03-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

My brother #1 drives SEMI he has a rout through Texas sometimes we stop at a place along side some place where nobody is with in 20 miles we would take a walk through the blank area and set up a few steel plates that are about 40 lbs and round as a basketball and shoot about 300 rounds out tto 500 yards with the .308 and .223 its a great feeling to know you can make that shot with no problems.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

My brother #1 drives SEMI he has a rout through Texas sometimes we stop at a place along side some place where nobody is with in 20 miles we would take a walk through the blank area and set up a few steel plates that are about 40 lbs and round as a basketball and shoot about 300 rounds out to 500 yards with the .308 and .223 its a great feeling to know you can make that shot with no problems.