Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Horses As I See Them By Ian McMurchy

I have decided I am suggesting panty hose to EVERY rookie I can from this point on! The bonus is, I now have an excuse to wear 'em!!

Long range rifle - check
ammo - check
Gold bond (Quote from amatuer horseman after hard days ride:" This stuff is a little slice of heaven"!) - check
Polyester "underarmour" - check
Pantyhose - check

Man! Hunting gets more fun by the minute! Next thing ya know there'll be a movie about gay hunters / cowboys. Can I see your gun, Bob?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:51 AM

This is my first posting. I am usually more content with reading other peoples opinions. I think that the previous writers were all correct. Conditioning yourself and getting as much riding and aquaintance with horses as you can, will only increase your chances of an enjoyable hunting experience. I have hunted off horse since a young lad. Most of those hunts left me wondering why you would ever want to own an ATV. Then there were the hunts where we spent more time hunting for our horses than the actual game we were looking for. Looking back now I am thankfull for having been on all of those hunts both good and not so good ones.
On a different note, my main reason for posting is not about horses and hunting but of the Passing of Mr. McMurchy. It had been almost 3 decades since I heard Ian's name. And boy was I excited when I first saw Ian's name, as an author, in a hunting magazine. Ian taught myself, and who knows how many other young people, hunter safety. If you had the good fortune of Ian teaching you, you knew that you didn't receive the standard hunter safety. Ian involved you, made you realize that hunting was a privilage, something special and made you realize how great the outdoors were. You could say that he was the full meal deal when it came to the teachings of wildlife, the outdoors and all it had to offer. The man had an infinite amount of patience with young people and truely enjoyed spend time and teaching us in the outdoors.
On a lighter note, I have know idea how Ian's theory on wearing panty hose comes into the picture. There is not a big enough saddle sore in history that would drive me to wearing panty hose, but knowing Mr. McMurchy, it did give me a pretty good chuckle. Thanks for everything Ian.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Cory,
Well spoken. There is a link to a tribute to Ian at the top of the page. I believe the tribute is intended to be presented to Ians family. You may wish to make a comment there also.

PS. I will be testing the panty hose trick today...Yeehaw
Old 01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

i was just on my way through spanish fork utah when a horse went racing across the hwy......i thought the old guy on his back was naked, but then i noticed he was wearing PANTYHOSE!!!! Was that you Grit????
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion
I wish it could be, I really do.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Alright fellas this is getting out of hand! This panty hose thing is what I am talking about. I was seriously doubting any mans manliness, now there have been confirmed sightings. This is drastic; Ian has had such an influence on the world that fund raisers in all their aggressiveness have begun wearing panty hose. City folk can really get things twisted around, let me explain. As I was watching the television last night this funny talking dude strolls into a Circle K and starts shouting that he needs money! The ironic thing is he is wearing panty hose on his head! If this panty hose ordeal is going to become a world wide epidemic I feel that some well educated person doing their best to portray Ian, needs to explain this technique is for extreme equine sports and to be worn on the lower extremities.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Didja hear the one about the diesel fitter??