close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Degrees Of Rifle Accuracy by Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

I liked the article. You compared the TC Encores to a high end custom rig. I don't have any custom guns. However I have 4 Encores. Two of them are 15" pistols that shoot VERY good groups I feel for a pistol. The .223 Rem likes "cheap" Remington ammo and will shoot .350 groups all day at 100yds. One is in 7mm-08 and it does a little better than 1" with factory ammo if you do your part. The one that drives me crazy is the 28" pro hunter. I had high hopes for it. I was looking for a tack driver when I bought it. I cant seem to get it to shoot anything under 2" groups. Some of them are 3+. I have tried 30 different hand loads. My little model seven rem in 7mm-08 will out shoot it. (2" groups when breaking in the barrel with the 25lb factory trigger).I guess some of them just don't shoot out of the box! I said I had 4 encores. The last one is a 12" 454 Casull. I can't really tell how accurate it is because of the vicious recoil. I struggle to shoot it well because of that. The muzzle blast will make up for the missed shot ha ha......Jim
Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Degrees Of Rifle Accuracy by Ian McMurchy

I first read this article after buying my Vanguard. Mine is a Syn. Vanguard 7 RM, not a "sub-MOA". I was able to get 4 shots grouped smaller than a quarter off my backpack at 200 yds. feeding her 150 gr. Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. The trigger is crisp and clean. I think I lucked out.
My next Vanguard is likely to be a "sub-MOA" Varminter. Not sure of caliber.

Chris
Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Excellent article Ian. I enjoyed you insight on rifle accuracy.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Learn to shoot in wind. Matter of fact we should practice in lousy weather
I do that whenever I get the chance.

YouTube - Winchester 30-30, 4" Jar at 100 Yards, 30-40mph Winds

Sometimes it is pretty challenging.

YouTube - Winchester 30-30 and 30-40mph Winds

I was thinking on getting a Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA rifle, I really want one of those but I think in will have to settle for a Marlin bolt action rifle with scope. Those are the only rifles in my price range. :/

Of course I should probably just get scope mounts and rings for my 30-30, that is more in my price range. ;)
Old 11-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm5l View Post
I liked the article. You compared the TC Encores to a high end custom rig. I don't have any custom guns. However I have 4 Encores. Two of them are 15" pistols that shoot VERY good groups I feel for a pistol. The .223 Rem likes "cheap" Remington ammo and will shoot .350 groups all day at 100yds. One is in 7mm-08 and it does a little better than 1" with factory ammo if you do your part. The one that drives me crazy is the 28" pro hunter. I had high hopes for it. I was looking for a tack driver when I bought it. I cant seem to get it to shoot anything under 2" groups. Some of them are 3+. I have tried 30 different hand loads. My little model seven rem in 7mm-08 will out shoot it. (2" groups when breaking in the barrel with the 25lb factory trigger).I guess some of them just don't shoot out of the box! I said I had 4 encores. The last one is a 12" 454 Casull. I can't really tell how accurate it is because of the vicious recoil. I struggle to shoot it well because of that. The muzzle blast will make up for the missed shot ha ha......Jim
Here is a little update on the 7mm-08 PISTOL. 46.2 grains of H414 and a "Cheap" Hornady 139 gr BTSP will get you this EVERYDAY! I normally just load 3 or 4 for testing loads so I don't have any 5 shot groups to brag about. I am still learning to shoot the pistol the same way every time.

Last edited by wm5l; 11-29-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

I can sum this up in three words!

FACTORY RIFLES SUCK!!

Monte Walsh
Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Bronze Member

It really is a shame he passed away at a relatively young age. I hate finding out about a great Canadian shooter who I never got to respect before he passed away.

Great article though. I'm loving my Savage 12 223. Allthough, I'd use the word 'precision' in place of accuracy in the article; these two words are often mixed up.
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing. ― Charles Bukowski

Only precise rifles are interesting.