Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Degrees Of Rifle Accuracy by Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

I liked the article. You compared the TC Encores to a high end custom rig. I don't have any custom guns. However I have 4 Encores. Two of them are 15" pistols that shoot VERY good groups I feel for a pistol. The .223 Rem likes "cheap" Remington ammo and will shoot .350 groups all day at 100yds. One is in 7mm-08 and it does a little better than 1" with factory ammo if you do your part. The one that drives me crazy is the 28" pro hunter. I had high hopes for it. I was looking for a tack driver when I bought it. I cant seem to get it to shoot anything under 2" groups. Some of them are 3+. I have tried 30 different hand loads. My little model seven rem in 7mm-08 will out shoot it. (2" groups when breaking in the barrel with the 25lb factory trigger).I guess some of them just don't shoot out of the box! I said I had 4 encores. The last one is a 12" 454 Casull. I can't really tell how accurate it is because of the vicious recoil. I struggle to shoot it well because of that. The muzzle blast will make up for the missed shot ha ha......Jim
Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Degrees Of Rifle Accuracy by Ian McMurchy

I first read this article after buying my Vanguard. Mine is a Syn. Vanguard 7 RM, not a "sub-MOA". I was able to get 4 shots grouped smaller than a quarter off my backpack at 200 yds. feeding her 150 gr. Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. The trigger is crisp and clean. I think I lucked out.
My next Vanguard is likely to be a "sub-MOA" Varminter. Not sure of caliber.

Chris
Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Excellent article Ian. I enjoyed you insight on rifle accuracy.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Learn to shoot in wind. Matter of fact we should practice in lousy weather
I do that whenever I get the chance.

YouTube - Winchester 30-30, 4" Jar at 100 Yards, 30-40mph Winds

Sometimes it is pretty challenging.

YouTube - Winchester 30-30 and 30-40mph Winds

I was thinking on getting a Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA rifle, I really want one of those but I think in will have to settle for a Marlin bolt action rifle with scope. Those are the only rifles in my price range. :/

Of course I should probably just get scope mounts and rings for my 30-30, that is more in my price range. ;)
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 11-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm5l View Post
I liked the article. You compared the TC Encores to a high end custom rig. I don't have any custom guns. However I have 4 Encores. Two of them are 15" pistols that shoot VERY good groups I feel for a pistol. The .223 Rem likes "cheap" Remington ammo and will shoot .350 groups all day at 100yds. One is in 7mm-08 and it does a little better than 1" with factory ammo if you do your part. The one that drives me crazy is the 28" pro hunter. I had high hopes for it. I was looking for a tack driver when I bought it. I cant seem to get it to shoot anything under 2" groups. Some of them are 3+. I have tried 30 different hand loads. My little model seven rem in 7mm-08 will out shoot it. (2" groups when breaking in the barrel with the 25lb factory trigger).I guess some of them just don't shoot out of the box! I said I had 4 encores. The last one is a 12" 454 Casull. I can't really tell how accurate it is because of the vicious recoil. I struggle to shoot it well because of that. The muzzle blast will make up for the missed shot ha ha......Jim
Here is a little update on the 7mm-08 PISTOL. 46.2 grains of H414 and a "Cheap" Hornady 139 gr BTSP will get you this EVERYDAY! I normally just load 3 or 4 for testing loads so I don't have any 5 shot groups to brag about. I am still learning to shoot the pistol the same way every time.

Last edited by wm5l; 11-29-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

I can sum this up in three words!

FACTORY RIFLES SUCK!!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Bronze Member

It really is a shame he passed away at a relatively young age. I hate finding out about a great Canadian shooter who I never got to respect before he passed away.

Great article though. I'm loving my Savage 12 223. Allthough, I'd use the word 'precision' in place of accuracy in the article; these two words are often mixed up.
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing. ― Charles Bukowski

Only precise rifles are interesting.