Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Ian's Corner - Discussion

Degrees Of Rifle Accuracy by Ian McMurchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R.H. View Post
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Degrees Of Rifle Accuracy by Ian McMurchy. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
An HONEST article
Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

I would add a comment on forcing a child to eat boiled okra. They don't like the slimey stuff and if you do make them eat it they will throw up on the table. Some days it is hard to be a parent.

Some rifles don't like boiled okra either. I shoot a 308 40X and it has a special match chamber suited for the 175 SMK . Dave King had a recipe on a box of ammo and that is what I use and I have never experimented with trying to improve it. That rifle will shoot the 175 SMKs into what ever group the shooter is capable of. Apparently, it will shoot down into the1s or 2s for people it likes. It seems to like my daughter, but appears to have a grudge against me. It refuses to shoot Accubonds under 1.5 MOA and it justs throws up all over the table when you feed it Nosler partitions. I cannot get the partitions under 2MOA.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Keep feeding it the boiled okra, someday it will grow up

edge.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Silver Member

MikeCR,

I love that shooting game/contest you discribed. I have just forwarded that to members of my gun club, my hope is that we can get some calendar time in late July/August to do a shoot that you discribed.

Way Cool!!!

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member

Last edited by Chopaka81; 05-04-2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnley View Post
An HONEST article

I thought so too. I've owned 2 Remington 22-250s. Both shot between 2 and 3" out-the-box with factory ammo. My second one I had bedded and trigger adjusted down to 2.5lbs. What a difference that made! Just with these two "mods" my groups shrank to 1 to 1.5 inch consistently. I then had the lugs lapped and trued. Now it will shoot hand-loads around 0.5" most of the time. I did once get a 3-shot one-hole group, and happened to shoot a fly on my target with the 3rd shot. However, it will NOT do this "all day".
Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member

Degree of accuracy of a rifle..

For hunting purposes, I agree with the post above, the first shot from a cold barrel HAS
to hit where I'm aiming! If that first shot is a flyer and I can't get the barrel to shoot at
POA on the first shot from a cold barrel and the second shot next to it, I'll replace it.
Fortunately, so far, I haven't experienced a situation where this has really been an issue,
I'm usually able to place three shots within an inch of where I'm aiming (first shot cold barrel, second & third shot after). Only speaking for myself, a one-inch group @ 100 yds
(3-shots), is normally all the accuracy I need for a hunting rifle. To get this level of accuracy from a factory rifle normally involves bedding the action and floating the barrel. If the trigger is terrible I call up Timney and order a replacement. If the barrel can't get the job done, the barreled action is sent off to get a new barrel. I bought a M700 SPS, chambered for 308 Win I'm currently working with. So far I've replaced the factory stock with one from H-S Precision, and the trigger with one from Timney. I haven't given up on the barrel just yet, but decision time isn't far away. The good news is that the rifle only cost me the same as if I'd bought just the M700 short action.

From my perspective hunting only requires one accurate shot with good shot placement
to fill my tag. Over the last ten yrs or so, I've rarely needed to shoot more than once.
I attribute this to good shot placement, excellent terminal performance of the bullets I
use, and the good judgement not to take a shot that I'm uncomfortable with, as much
as I do to the accuracy of my rifle.

Target accuracy is a bit more precise though. Several shots are fired in a string and the
barrel (and shooter) have to be able to hit the 'mark' repeatedly regardless of a hot or
fouled the barrel becomes, or position required. Consistency becomes as important of a
factor as barrel accuracy. From the first shot fired to the last, regardless how many
rounds fired, over whatever time limits imposed. Consistency won't necessarily produce
the smallest groups, but should limit 'flyers' to shooter error.

Then there is the question of distance. One load might produce sub-MOA groups at
100-yds, but open up quite a bit out to 300 or 400-yds. OTOH, another load might
produce 1.25" group at 100-yds and at 300-yds or further, tighten up to MOA or sub-
MOA. Between the two loads, I'd prefer the latter.

The shooter with the sub-MOA at 100-yds might think his load is very accurate. And
it is out to 100-yds. But it is important that the load is tested over all the distances
required at a target match, or hunting situation before assuming the load is accurate.

I'm a firm believer in practice, practice, practice. Both at a range as well as at home
dry-firing with snap caps.

Last edited by travelr47; 05-10-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Bronze Member

Response to Ian

Accuracy is an issue of four basic factors: 1) the rifle; 2) the sights -- usually a scope if long distance is involved; 3) the embedding of the action to the stock; and 4) the shooter. You cannot separate them into discrete topics very easily. Years ago I remember vividly getting a Japanese Ariska rifle rechambered for the 6.5 Gibbs wildcat. Barrel was short and the recoil was horrific. I would shoot it about 6 tomes and the peepsight would fall off the rifle. No one could have shot the rifle with any accuracy. At the same time I had a 1917 enfield rechambered for the 30-338 winchester magnum. Was done by the Kuharsky brothers (inventors of the B&L scope mount) and the rifle would cut bullet holes at a 100 yards. Was amazingly accurate. I now have a host of Weatherby Mark V rifles with 2 of them having properly embedded stocks. They are unbelievably accurate both the 240 that is about 50 years old and a new custom stocked 30-378. What makes them so accurate? Attention has been paid to all details. Jim Clark has worked on the stocks and embedded the actions. In other words, 3 of the 4 factors have been taken care of. I am the 4th and have been shooting for nearly 45 years. Fortunately I am not of small stature being 6 foot 3 and 225 pounds. I use quality components and can easily handle recoil. Shooting tight groups is not a factor it is an essential. For awhile I could not shoot worth a damn but cataract surgery has solved that problem. I can now see perfectly so most of the 4th problem has been corrected also.