Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot

Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot Share locations of shooting ranges

Western Washington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Western Washington

So, we've covered Eastern Washington, what about 1000-yard opportunities for Seattle metro area folks? I know there's at least one 600-yard range (Cascade Rifle and Pistol Club), but I'd prefer a "field" setting where shots out to 1000+ are possible.

I'll guess I'll drive east 4 hours across the mountains if I have to, but if anybody knows of any suitable locales within, say, 50-60 miles of the Seattle metro area, I'd much appreciate the intel.

Regular practice is much easier when it doesn't require 6-8 hours round trip...
Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Gold Member

Actually, there are several 600yd KD ranges in the western Washington region... have you tried looking on the state rifle & pistol association site (www.wsrpa.net)?

Ones that come to mind...

Cascade (Ravendale)
Paul Bunyan (Puyallup)
Upper Nisqually Sportsmens Club (Eatonville)
Seattle Rifle & Pistol Assoc. (Machias)
Tacoma Rifle & Revolver (Tacoma)

Then when you get on the 'dry' side things thin out in a hurry...

Rattlesnake (Tri-Cities)
North Central Washington Gun Club (East Wenatchee)
Spokane Rifle Club (Spokane)

If you have Google Earth installed you can go here:

Google Earth Community: Fullbore/Highpower Facilities

and download a data file that should open in Google Earth... and show you the location of most of the major KD ranges in the US and abroad.

As far as 'field' shooting... short of finding a section of public land w/ a powerline cut thru it... I think you're pretty well SOL. I was under the distinct impression that the local law enforcement had clamped down hard on exactly that kind of shooting (people going out in the woods and banging away) due to the population density and vandalism/littering. Still fairly accessible over on this side of the mountains (even so, there are a few 'holes' I wish they'd shut down).

HTH,

Monte
Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply Milanuk --

You pretty much confirmed my suspicion as far as non-range shooting is concerned -- I guess I'll have to venture east to practice under field conditions. It's still do-able, it just becomes an all-day or all-weekend type thing with significant gas expense. Oh well.

Thank you for the Google Earth link, that's very handy. I think Ravendale is still closest to me.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

I am in the NW washington, email me for more info on ranges.

Where are you located?

dontstrokeme@hotmail.com
Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

DONTSTROKEME - email sent, thanks!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

Matt,IIRC, Cascade has a 600yd match coming up sometime in September... it's the 600yd Prone Championship, but theres usually some F-Class shooters as well. A lot of the 'regular' F-Class shooters (including me) will be down at Raton NM for the Nationals, but it might be worth your while to show up and give it a try. F-Class is certainly no substitute for practicing shooting under field conditions, but it's a dang good way to practice doping the wind and making your shots count before you spend the time/money to go afield.If you make it over this way (Wenatchee) give me a holler.Monte
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Milanuk,
I don't think I'll be set up to shoot yet by then (I'm being a little forward-thinking with this thread -- actually still working on getting a rifle together), but I'm interested in the whole F-class concept. Is it really the case that you can just show up at most highpower prone matches and shoot F-class? If so, what percentage of F-class shooters do you typically see? If not, where do you 'regular' F-Class guys get in your matches when you're not shooting State/Nationals?

Thanks in advance for schooling me...

Matt