Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot

Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot Share locations of shooting ranges

Eastern Washington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Gold Member

Johnny,

Good to see you made it up. If'n you get an interest in F-Class, Rattlesnake is a good place to shoot at. Douglas Ridge (just outside of Portland) is the next closest KD range w/ pits and all the other claptrap for High Power. Somehow or another I wound up w/ the job of fielding questions about F-Class for the state rifle and pistol association (Loading) so if you have any interest that way, let me know. Bob Gudgel and John Julian run a pretty good HP program down there @ Rattlesnake, so you should be in good hands ;)

Monte
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I have always been interested in F-class. Don't really know how to get started but I'm sure there's enough expertise on this forum to get me where I need to be. JohnnyK.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

f-class

I am really interested in F-class, I shot my first match with a varmint tapered 25-06 ackley have never seen a barrel so hot. I scored 581-5x, it was real fun despite the 100+ temperature. I have plans to build a 6mmdasher for an F/Open rifle so I can shoot at Rattlesnake, too. man they have alot of matches there. Its always windy there and I know I should probly should opt for a 6.5x284. Milanuk I am looking for other places to shoot F-class too! I live in Pendleton,OR an hour and a half from Rattlesnake. I know you In Wenachee have 600 yard matches but they are on Sunday when I go to church, so its strictly saturday matches for me. Do they have F-class In Bend Oregon?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Gold Member

flybuster,

Check your local state rifle & pistol association web site. The next closest 1k range may well be Douglas Ridge, on the east side of Portland (Gresham/Boring area). Not a *lot* of wind, but what they do have is evil, twisty stuff that the flags and mirage don't show accurately. I don't know too much more about whats down in Oregon, unfortunately.

I've had some other people comment on the Sunday aspect... unfortunately thats somewhat out of my control, as we share the property w/ a race track... and they pretty much have every Saturday from noon on from the end of April thru the end of September. I've considered running a 'short' Saturday match or practice, maybe a 2x20 w/ an early start time so we can get done by noon and be out of their way. Otherwise... I don't have a lot of options.

Monte
Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Snake river sportsmans club 2 miles South of Vale,Or has quite a big crowd shooting from what I hear. Alot of the shooters travel from Boise, La grande, Baker and get up to 30 shooters. It took me almost 2 and a half hours to get there,and don't forget the mountain time zone change! You literally have to brush cow pies and thistle weeds away so you can lay on your mat.
Their target pits are nice, if they are well greased. They have a target vault where they keep supplies which also serves as the target berm.
I definetly want to compete there, although when I shot it was 100 degrees and there were only 5 shooter brave enough.
Im just raising funds right now to build this rifle, so I might be shooting next year with all the wait times involved building one. But really look foward to this new sport.
Good luck at Nationals Milanuk.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

Johnny K, welcome to Washington! Some pretty decent hunting, and a very active match-shooting group here. I think the biggest problem with hunting here in Washington is dealing with the large population and large numbers of hunters afield.

Regards, Guy
Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Guy. Yeah, I'm kinda anxious about both, in a good way I guess. Went over to Rattlesnake this past Sunday to check out the range. Really just wanted to get a visual on it. Wife, kid and I went to the Blues on Saturday to see what they were like. Pretty nice. Saw droppings, big droppings!
So how do people around here hunt. Get license/tags and everyone head to the mountains and walk around? Are the areas where you can and can't go clearly marked? Should I try to hunt public or private land? If you kill and animal in a remote area, and don't own a four wheeler, I guess you have to either pack it out or stay a month and eat it on the spot? JohnnyK.