Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot

Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot Share locations of shooting ranges

Anyone know of a long range in Connecticut (or nearby state)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Gold Member

Anyone know of a long range in Connecticut (or nearby state)?

My club's rifle range has been shut down for repair/improvement.

I'm looking for a range that is at least 400ds, with 100 yd increments, and more is better, for testing ammo and rifles.

Would be willing to drive to surrounding states... any suggestions?

LRH member #23
Old 06-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone know of a long range in Connecticut (or nearby state)?

Nothing on Long Island that is more than 200yds.

In eastern PA there is a public (FREE) range that is 300yds. It is in the Jim Thorpe area.

I hope you get some helpful responses because I would be very interested in a looong range too. I normally test for bullet drop in the farmland of central PA. I choose a safe location of course, but always limit my shooting so as to not annoy homeowners in the surrounding area. A range would be preferable.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Gold Member

"Nothing on Long Island that is more than 200yds."

I use to shoot at a range in eastern long island that had 700 yds in the sand dunes. I don't know if they still have the 700 yd range, cuz there was talk of making more pistol ranges.

I sent them an e-mail, but haven't heard back yet.

LRH member #23

Last edited by CatShooter; 03-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

How far are you willing to drive??? I'm about one hour west of Corning NY. SW corner of Steuben County. I have a private range, willing to share. There are butts at 100, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 750 yds.
Phil
Old 07-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Catshooter,

I wish they had a long range on Long Island. The last 400yd range (that I am aware of) was cut in half by the extension of the L.I. Expressway. The range had to be oriented differently and is now only 200yds. Long Island is grossly over developed. Very few places left to shoot and they are farther out east where the reamaining undeveloped parcels are located.

It's also more expensive than ever before. The closest 200 yard range charges $15 a pop to get in and it's a 100mi round trip from my house. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
How far are you willing to drive??? I'm about one hour west of Corning NY. SW corner of Steuben County. I have a private range, willing to share. There are butts at 100, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 750 yds.
Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Phil.

That's a Fur piece, but I might take you up on it in the future... I would have to plan my loading well in advance (and not leave home with my ammo still on the table - don't ask, it's embarassing!!)

LRH member #23
Old 07-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter,

I wish they had a long range on Long Island. The last 400yd range (that I am aware of) was cut in half by the extension of the L.I. Expressway. The range had to be oriented differently and is now only 200yds. Long Island is grossly over developed. Very few places left to shoot and they are farther out east where the reamaining undeveloped parcels are located.

It's also more expensive than ever before. The closest 200 yard range charges $15 a pop to get in and it's a 100mi round trip from my house. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I hear back from the range I used to shoot at, I will PM to you.

When I last belonged, it was $250 a year, and that was about 5 years ago. They had a 700 yd range that was cut into a deep ditch in the sand dunes, that had 20 foot high walls, and 30 feet wide - it was one of the bestest places I have ever shot - protected from most of the wind.

I need to do some critical drop testing under controlled conditions (where I can go back and repeat the tests over and over).

I'm sure tired of what's happening to the north east - you can walk from Washington, DC to Boston, without touching the ground with your feet... just walk on the people (like in the subway scene in "Crocodile Dundee")

LRH member #23