Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot

Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot Share locations of shooting ranges


Reply

500+ yds in west Michigan

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
If you're within dirving distance of Young's Range, then that's where I'd go. I've been a member there for less than a year, but that place is like heaven on earth to me. The range goes out to 1000 yards with steel plates.

The range I used to go to went out to 300 yards, but it's not the same shooting paper. I like seeing the reaction of the steel when it gets hit. That's especially useful when comparing hunting rifles. For instance a 30-06 with 220gr handloads makes the steel move a lot more than the 30-30 with 170gr, and the 44 mag with anything really rocks them too.

The people at that range are as nice and helpful as a person could ever hope for.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
If you're within dirving distance of Young's Range, then that's where I'd go. I've been a member there for less than a year, but that place is like heaven on earth to me. The range goes out to 1000 yards with steel plates.

The range I used to go to went out to 300 yards, but it's not the same shooting paper. I like seeing the reaction of the steel when it gets hit. That's especially useful when comparing hunting rifles. For instance a 30-06 with 220gr handloads makes the steel move a lot more than the 30-30 with 170gr, and the 44 mag with anything really rocks them too.

The people at that range are as nice and helpful as a person could ever hope for.
Interesting, I wonder how nice and helpful they'd be, if I shot their steel with my 338AM :eek:.

I wish it was closer.

AJ
__________________
If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.


My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
I know a guy who shoots out there with a 338 lapua. Out of respect for the range property and other shooters there he does not shoot at steel targets closer than 500 yards because it just tears up the steel.

Instead he just hangs paper targets at any of those distances and shoots those.

I don't think anyone at any range would put up with too much of one person trying to tear up the range and ruin it for everyone else. The nice thing about a gun range, is that everyone there has a gun, so there aren't too many cases where people try to mess things up for everyone else.

There's a lot of guys that really appreciate that range and what the Youngs are trying to do there. I wouldn't have a second thought about asking someone to leave if they were there just trying to ruin stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,232
Teddy,

I was just trying my hand at humor. I wouldn't shoot steel with my 338AM, I've done it and seen the holes it left in MY steel. Sorry you took it wrong.

AJ


Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
I know a guy who shoots out there with a 338 lapua. Out of respect for the range property and other shooters there he does not shoot at steel targets closer than 500 yards because it just tears up the steel.

Instead he just hangs paper targets at any of those distances and shoots those.

I don't think anyone at any range would put up with too much of one person trying to tear up the range and ruin it for everyone else. The nice thing about a gun range, is that everyone there has a gun, so there aren't too many cases where people try to mess things up for everyone else.

There's a lot of guys that really appreciate that range and what the Youngs are trying to do there. I wouldn't have a second thought about asking someone to leave if they were there just trying to ruin stuff.
__________________
If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.


My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
I didn't take it that you were going ot show up and destroy the range at all. I guess I was just getting on my little soap box for a minute because I have been at other ranges where people are only there to let lead fly and damage the range.

The best part about Youngs is that everyone I've met there so far has been very nice and helpful. They'll help anyone shoot as far as they'd like to. I didnt' take it in any negative way, and I'm sorry I started blabbing on about other ranges where I have seen people just get crazy with guns. I like ranges that keep irresponsible people out and good people in.

I'm just guessing here, but I think it'd be very safe to say that anyone who shoots a 338AM knows how to be responsible with a rifle and would be a welcome addition to Youngs membership.

I hope heaven has a range like Young's.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,232
Good,

I'd love to visit Young's sometime, it would be a couple hour drive, but would be worth it for a weekend of longrange practice.
I guess all I need now is an invitation from a member that wouldn't mind playing with a 338AM a bit.

AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
I didn't take it that you were going ot show up and destroy the range at all. I guess I was just getting on my little soap box for a minute because I have been at other ranges where people are only there to let lead fly and damage the range.

The best part about Youngs is that everyone I've met there so far has been very nice and helpful. They'll help anyone shoot as far as they'd like to. I didnt' take it in any negative way, and I'm sorry I started blabbing on about other ranges where I have seen people just get crazy with guns. I like ranges that keep irresponsible people out and good people in.

I'm just guessing here, but I think it'd be very safe to say that anyone who shoots a 338AM knows how to be responsible with a rifle and would be a welcome addition to Youngs membership.

I hope heaven has a range like Young's.
__________________
If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.


My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
I guess all I need now is an invitation from a member that wouldn't mind playing with a 338AM a bit.
AJ, we need to get together.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 500+ yds in west Michigan
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Michigan fr3db3ar Member Introductions 4 02-11-2011 10:32 AM
HI:From michigan jpf Member Introductions 1 12-14-2009 04:18 PM
Hello from Michigan gnam Member Introductions 1 11-30-2009 12:40 AM
Michigan bear300us Member Introductions 1 08-29-2009 08:34 AM
Hello from Michigan skamaniac Member Introductions 2 04-13-2009 08:47 PM

Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC