Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot

Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot Share locations of shooting ranges

2000 yards in va

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: 2000 yards in va

nice find! I hope everyone down here complies! Alot of people here dont even check in deer. You see, you cant have anything nice in this neck of the woods, someone will steal it or break it because it doesnt belong to them. Its sad, but I dont think this will last long. They will not have time to reproduce because everyone within a 100 mile radius will be hunnting them, (legally..or not) and the ethical hunters wont have a chance at the opportunity to take a large elk. Thats the problem we have with deer. Veteren hunters of 30 years or more still kill spikes when they have the opportunity. We dont have a chance because no one lets the deer grow into maturity. I know 60 year old men who still drop spikes and when asked about it they all say the same thing, "Well if I dont kill it, somebody else will. At least I'll have the meat in my freezer." IT will be the same with elk...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

If the elk population grows and matures and reproduces, then there should be enough to go around. But I see your point insomuch as if there aren't enough mature deer, then the spikes get taken without having a chance to grow older. The big bulls can help the herd grow and take a few cows. I can share the sentiment that any meat is good if that's all there is, but to thin the herd to only the smallest bucks is unhealthy and destructive. I'm perfectly happy with not taking bucks at all or only one a season, but does for meat as allowed too. I personally don't hunt for a trophy, but for the experience and the food.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

amen brother! The experience is boss and then the food is nice as well. But I mostly donate most of the deer anyway. But the days where we dont see any deer maybe the most fun. I hunt with a couple of my buddies and I have stories that will go on for days. But thats what its all about to me!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

No doubt. Plenty of days I've been out and not seen a thing, but still enjoyed it very much.