Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot

Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot Share locations of shooting ranges

2000 yards in va

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

2000 yards in va

i am in the work of trying to put together a rifle range that we will be capable of shooting out to 2000 yards.i know that there aren't any places around here to do it so i thought i would try to get it going.i have been doing some leg work but i would like to hear from you o see if there is a real intrest in this type of shooting before i go any further.this will be a legitimate range with memberships dues just like any other range but with longer shooting.if it is a success then we will move up with an indoor pistol range and club house ect.any input would be appreciated
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 2000 yards in va

Depends on where it is at and costs?

There is a huge new range complex going in just north of Winchester called Peacekeepers that is going to have 1k ranges, cowboy, shotgun, numerous pistol etc and all types of training. They are going to be strong competition for NW VA shooters.

There is a VA 1k BR club looking for a home range also that would probably be interested. If in S VA, the NC 1K BR club is looking for a home range.

What would be the location and it is going to take a hell of a lot of land for 2000 yards with the buffer zones needed for richocets. Not sure where you would find that other than in the mountains and zoning is always an issue along with noise IF remotely close to any horse farm here in VA. They will run you out in a minute.

BH
Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

I would be very interested depending on location. What part of the state?

If it is in my area, I might be able to help identify some available pieces of property.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

i am in charlottesville but i am looking in central va in general.i have talked to a few land owners so far and an insurance agent as well.where are you located?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Getting the zoning from the county and special use permits will be the key. Plus no horse farms any where close, which are all over central and N VA.

Plus you will need a mile buffer minimum for richocets or you will be sued out of business.

Google DA Pam 385-63 and look at a 50 caliber (It is the same for a 300 win mag and up) surface danger zone dimensions on page 174 Table B1. You will need straight line ricochet distance of 6500 meters, and side to side of 1650 each way from the centerline. If you do not have that much land, you and the landowner are asking for trouble with neighbors if their are any near.

Would love to see it but it takes a lot of land for a civilian range today.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 02-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Getting the zoning from the county and special use permits will be the key. Plus no horse farms any where close, which are all over central and N VA.

Plus you will need a mile buffer minimum for richocets or you will be sued out of business.

Google DA Pam 385-63 and look at a 50 caliber (It is the same for a 300 win mag and up) surface danger zone dimensions on page 174 Table B1. You will need straight line ricochet distance of 6500 meters, and side to side of 1650 each way from the centerline. If you do not have that much land, you and the landowner are asking for trouble with neighbors if their are any near.

Would love to see it but it takes a lot of land for a civilian range today.

BH

That is interesting reading, does it apply to established ranges or only new ones? The reason I ask is I know of at least one very long established range in VA that is perfectly safe but does not have that kind of elbow room.

My math comes to about 7000 acres for range and buffers like you describe.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
That is interesting reading, does it apply to established ranges or only new ones? The reason I ask is I know of at least one very long established range in VA that is perfectly safe but does not have that kind of elbow room.

My math comes to about 7000 acres for range and buffers like you describe.
It comes from unscrupulous "neighbors" wanting to shut you down and "claiming" that you are allowing ricochets off the property. They will use the 385-63 parameters as justification why you do not have enough surface danger zone to contain the richocets.

Berms do not stop the bullets, every berm in existance has bullet holes in trees behind them. Those distances needed are well documented by doppler radar.

There are mitigation measures you can do such as berms and siting (ie shooting into a hillside low), also remember with bullets come lead and lead control measures such as leach ponds with drainage from the berm frontage to the pond.

LR ranges are not cheap and require careful siting, coordination for permits and support from the community.

Ranges stay open based on their ability to defend themselves from the neighbors who want them shut down! They will fight tooth and nail to stop even opening a range. There are several well documented cases right here in Va ( a 1k range in Remington was forced to close by horse owners, a proposed 1K range in Bath county was stopped by horse owners and some locals and the existing fight going on in Westmoreland.

We had a guy in a plane continually fly low over a mile range in Ohio stopping us from shooting and then claim he was being shot at. However he forgot that the range owner had filed the legal NOTAMS (Notice to Airmen) with the FAA and the pilot was violating aviation laws to do what he did.

Housing area behind the berm at the NC Justice Academy in Salemburg shut the range down.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 02-03-2011 at 04:29 PM.