Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.


View Poll Results: Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?
6.5/284 1,026 18.92%
7WSM 514 9.48%
7RUM 239 4.41%
7AM 107 1.97%
300WM 916 16.89%
300WSM 576 10.62%
300RUM 467 8.61%
338RUM 261 4.81%
338LAP 726 13.39%
338EDGE 590 10.88%
Voters: 5422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #323  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

DaveSam47 300 Win Mag just got it pickup last week.
Kevin Cram
Montour County Rifles
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Mt Rainier
Posts: 225
Re: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

I have been looking at building a 7X68 rimmed in a replica 1885 high wall.

The goal would be to have a rimmed case for extraction and shoot the 175 and 180 gr VLD Berger bullets over 3000 fps with Retumbo or VV N-570.

What can you tell me about possible sizing dies. Do you know of a bushing die that I could use for routine sizing in 7mm X 68 ?

What size die are you going to use in your 8X68S ?
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway, Buskerud
Posts: 333
Re: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WSM View Post
I have been looking at building a 7X68 rimmed in a replica 1885 high wall.

The goal would be to have a rimmed case for extraction and shoot the 175 and 180 gr VLD Berger bullets over 3000 fps with Retumbo or VV N-570.

What can you tell me about possible sizing dies. Do you know of a bushing die that I could use for routine sizing in 7mm X 68 ?

What size die are you going to use in your 8X68S ?
To be honest I have never heard of a 7x68R (rimmed or flanged) before. The 8x 68S is also called "the German Magnum" and was created in the late 1930's for boltaction. You'll find dies from RCBS, Hornady and Redding for it (Midway). I know about the 7x65R (284')which is still a very popular caliber with a bullet speed like the 280 Rem or 7x64. That means easy more than 3000 fps with 130 - 150gr. bullets. Then you can hit dies of a rimmed (flanged) mag like the 7x72R v. Hofe (284'). For what kind of 7mm bullet are you looking for? Do you mean 275' or 284'? Did you take a look at the 7mm H & H flanged mag (275')? Hope I could give you some input solving your challenge.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Mt Rainier
Posts: 225
Re: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

I do not need "dies". The traditional seating die will not work with VLD bullets. I will use a Wilson seating die created with the barrel chambering reamer.

Berger VLD bullets 7mm bullets are .284 in diameter.

The 7X64 or 7x65 rimmed or rimless will not provide the velocity for big game hunting at long range with 180 gr bullets.

What I am looking for is a bushing size die so I can control neck tension and partial sizing.

What are you going to use to size?

I can use 6.5 X 68 rimmed RWS brass.

I would build a 6.5 but I already have four in that size.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway, Buskerud
Posts: 333
Re: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WSM View Post
I do not need "dies". The traditional seating die will not work with VLD bullets. I will use a Wilson seating die created with the barrel chambering reamer.

Berger VLD bullets 7mm bullets are .284 in diameter.

The 7X64 or 7x65 rimmed or rimless will not provide the velocity for big game hunting at long range with 180 gr bullets.

What I am looking for is a bushing size die so I can control neck tension and partial sizing.

What are you going to use to size?

I can use 6.5 X 68 rimmed RWS brass.

I would build a 6.5 but I already have four in that size.
First of all in Europe we almost don't use Berger VLD - bullets for big game hunting, because they are much to soft for our purposes! Different philosphy, we use mostly bonded bullets. Longrange hunting in Europe is on maximum up to 300m for big game, due to "ethics" and laws. If you really like to fire a 180gr. bullet out of a rimmed case for longrange hunting, why aren't you then using 30' or 323' bullets? 7mm bullets heavier than 168gr in high velocities seem to be meaningless for me. Take a closer look to the 30R Blaser or try to form some kind of 8x68RS. I've got no idea what you could use for sizing in your special case.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 04-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cleburne,Texas
Posts: 141
Re: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

The Berger is meant for reduced true "LRH" terminal velocities not 300m...for 300m the best bullet would more likely be the Barnes Triple Shock
__________________
Somewhere Between Ignorance & Arrogance
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway, Buskerud
Posts: 333
Re: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRaTxn View Post
The Berger is meant for reduced true "LRH" terminal velocities not 300m...for 300m the best bullet would more likely be the Barnes Triple Shock
I’m fully aware of what you are writing, and it’s true. That’s the reason why we don’t use “softies” like the VLD…Under the lead free both the Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX are really nice, accurate and competitive. As I wrote in my mail to you 14.04.13 (hope you received it?) they don’t reach Lutz Moeller’s MJG in speed, sudden impact, flat trajectory or accuracy! The old and famous 7x57 (your favorite) goes by 3109fps V/0 m and 2871fps V/100m out of a 24’ barrel and just falls 0, 42 ft at 300m! The MJG was tested more than successfully on all continents from small predators over moose, deer and plains game up to water buffalos, donkeys. Often far beyond 300m…
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Rifle - 500 yards max - what cartridge Jerry D Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 59 08-30-2013 01:07 AM
Need Advice on either 338 RUM or Lapua cartridge to get in a rifle? Roguer Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 8 04-26-2013 10:44 AM
Rifle, scope and cartridge choice for 2,500+ metres ?? Sir Isaac Brock Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 19 12-22-2012 08:20 PM
Help choose Rifle Battery-Cartridge to chamber??! CanadianLefty Long Range Hunting & Shooting 8 07-29-2011 05:36 PM
BP Cartridge rifle scope J E Custom Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 2 07-11-2009 05:14 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.03%
74 Votes
NO - 51.08%
118 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.88%
39 Votes
Total Votes: 231
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC