Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Longest Big Game Kill With Bow
Under 20 yards 212 6.14%
21 to 40 yards 986 28.56%
41 to 60 yards 879 25.46%
61 to 80 yards 414 11.99%
81 to 100 yards 259 7.50%
Over 100 yards 702 20.34%
Voters: 3452. You may not vote on this poll

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Location: I split my time between Eugene, OR and Steamboat Spring, CO
Re: Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

I take it you must live in the Bend / Lapine area. Love it there and hunt between Mt Thielson, Crescent, and Odell lakes a lot if we're not on the West side of the mountains . Most of my guiding is in that area with some in NW Colorado. . We've taken a lot of big bulls out over the years but we try to hunt where no man in his right mind will go...just a little too tough tittie for most. Trying to get my first book finished and off to the publisher..what else...but a book on Roosevelt elk.
"I travel the far blue mountains, a place of thundering cascades and simple waterfalls, breathing air so fresh and crisp it crackles in the mornings golden light. I climb the tree studded ridges, shouldering up against the blue, a hawk circling above...this and much more call, but of those who answer, few find the freedom which is mine"
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Congratulations on your book. Sounds like your keep busy with your guiding.

Our hunting camp has been over in Sled Springs for the past 8 years. Until
the cougars and bear and now wolves have thinned out the herds to the point
it's become tougher and tougher. With the roads being closed during hunting
season, it used to be a good hunt. Like a five mile hike you would see 25 to 30 bucks, both Mule deer and Whitetails. Everything from a forked horn to trophy
mule deer and Whitetails. Bulls and cows in herds of 40 to 70 animals. A bow
hunters paradise.

Now your lucky to see one elk herd of 10 or 15 and maybe 3 or 4 deer.

So we are scouting some areas a little closer to home. Mostly road closed.

I live outside of Prineville.

Practice, Practice and Practice.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 PM

Killed a bull in the timber at 52 yards one time. I like to get a lot closer, but meandering through the timber cow calling one morning I found myself in the middle of a herd that was mostly bedded with a couple up and feeding. I gave my buddy, who was weaving through some vine maple behind me, the stop hand signal. The herd bull was bedded down and I ranged him. As I knocked an arrow, he stood up and quartered away. It was pretty automatic as I drew , anchored and fired. I watched my arrow arc over the sword ferns and disappear through him. He went about 50 yards and I heard him gasp a few times. By the time I focused my binos through the timber and found him, he had tipped over. How the elk didn't smell us as we walked in on them I'll never know. Just lucky for sure. I'd been shooting my bow every day for months at various distances, even between hunts and was quite confident, but that was as far as I ever want to shoot at any animal with archery gear. The next day, I was at work and realized I hadn't recovered my arrow. It kept bugging me, so I left work and rode my bike into the area where I'd got him. I found the ribbon trail used for packing out my meat, and when I reenacted the previous days doings found my arrow 30 yards past where he'd been standing.

Last edited by glasser; 05-30-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: I wasn't sneaking
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Congradulations, nice story, well done.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

Back when I was a kid (14 or 15)and using my old Ben Pearson fiberglass 45# bow. That was my first bow and I shot it every day. I would kill rabbits and squirrels every time my brother and I walked through the woods on the farm. When we got enough my Grandma woule fix them for dinner. One day Deer Season had just opened, and as we walked near the back of the lot, we saw a Buck Deer feeding under an Oak Tree. I raised up and let one go. That arrow seemed to take forever, but it came down high in the side. Did not seem like it went in very far, and the Deer took off running. About 35 yards away was a barbed wire fence. The Deer did not make it across the fence. It came down on the fence and got hung up. We took off running but the deer was dead by the time we got there.

My Dad paced it off at 93 paces, my Grand Pa paced it off at 98 paces. I just know it was a long way. I strutted around for a long time over that one.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
Back when I was a kid (14 or 15)and using my old Ben Pearson fiberglass 45# bow. That was my first bow and I shot it every day. I would kill rabbits and squirrels every time my brother and I walked through the woods on the farm. When we got enough my Grandma woule fix them for dinner. One day Deer Season had just opened, and as we walked near the back of the lot, we saw a Buck Deer feeding under an Oak Tree. I raised up and let one go. That arrow seemed to take forever, but it came down high in the side. Did not seem like it went in very far, and the Deer took off running. About 35 yards away was a barbed wire fence. The Deer did not make it across the fence. It came down on the fence and got hung up. We took off running but the deer was dead by the time we got there.

My Dad paced it off at 93 paces, my Grand Pa paced it off at 98 paces. I just know it was a long way. I strutted around for a long time over that one.

Good story and a great heritage, memories of a life time.

That part of the country You live in is a little scarce on deer. But the caribou, moose and bear make up for it.

I lived in Alsaka for 6 years in the 70's.
marvelous place. I go back every once in a while to refresh the memories.

Spent 3 years in Kodiak on Kodiak Island, The big rock. Lots of deer there
Afognak has the Elk, fun place.

I'm practice out to 100 yards three or more times a week now.

Our Elk and Deer season opens last week of August

So its Practice, Practice and Practice.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

I grew up in middle Tennessee. I was given that bow at the age of 12, and it was in my hands from that point on. I shot instinctive, no sights, or training of any type I just went out and started shooting. The farm was 35 acres, of grass and woods. That bow became a part of me. I watched Curt Goudy's shows on TV on Saturday. He often featured Fred Bear hunting. I read everything I could find on Fred Bear, and one of them I remember was him hunting the Wood River in Alaska. I swore I would one day hunt the Wood River myself.

Well I have Hunted the Wood River many times. It's just across the Tanana River from where I live. I've taken Caribou, Moose, and loads of Ptarmigan and Grouse with my bow today.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.