Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Longest Big Game Kill With Bow
Under 20 yards 212 6.14%
21 to 40 yards 986 28.56%
41 to 60 yards 879 25.46%
61 to 80 yards 414 11.99%
81 to 100 yards 259 7.50%
Over 100 yards 702 20.34%
Voters: 3452. You may not vote on this poll

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM

Re: Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

To 1hunter: Thanks for your reply and info of past archery competitions. Until we hear about from someone, or stumble upon information we are ignorant of, we are just that, ignorant. I mean that with absolutley no put down, as some people take the word as meaning "dumb or stupid". I have heard of Camp Perry but never researched it before. Now that a new interest has been spawned for the long range shooting I am sure to be learning many new things. Ballistic coefficient, correollis effect and that %$#$% side wind LOL. I wish there would have been this type of medium to learn from way back in the day. Most of my hunting experience, bow or rifle, came from just going and doing. What a hard way to learn new lessons. I would have loved to have been taught proper woodcraft growing up and think about how much more "successful" I might have been. It has been wonderful to teach my niece how to hunt and see her be able to succeed without all the hard knocks learned alon g the way. Remember, if the ladies don,t find you handsome, let them find you handy.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
To 1hunter: Thanks for your reply and info of past archery competitions. Until we hear about from someone, or stumble upon information we are ignorant of, we are just that, ignorant. I mean that with absolutley no put down, as some people take the word as meaning "dumb or stupid". I have heard of Camp Perry but never researched it before. Now that a new interest has been spawned for the long range shooting I am sure to be learning many new things. Ballistic coefficient, correollis effect and that %$#$% side wind LOL. I wish there would have been this type of medium to learn from way back in the day. Most of my hunting experience, bow or rifle, came from just going and doing. What a hard way to learn new lessons. I would have loved to have been taught proper woodcraft growing up and think about how much more "successful" I might have been. It has been wonderful to teach my niece how to hunt and see her be able to succeed without all the hard knocks learned alon g the way. Remember, if the ladies don,t find you handsome, let them find you handy.
Bear 1010 Greetings, I will beg your difference. There is a world of difference
between Ignorance and uninformed. Ignorance means you have heard it, but
choose to ignore it. I am on much the same road as yourself. I just got into
long-range shooting in November of last year. Believe me I have had to learn
a ton of stuff I had never heard of. Like mil-dot and moa. I did get rid of the 4"x5" card board, string and sinker for angle measuring years ago. I bought an inclinometer used by surveyors, a little hand held device that you look through and read the marked number of degrees up or down. Then there is all the reloading tools and books that have to be mastered so you don't blow
up the building your in. Spend days more learning how to correctly mount a scope and get it bore sighted in. I hadn't even shot a round at this point.

There is still bullet spin, windage and mirage control to work on, plus getting
the rifle sighted in so it will shoot out to a 1000 yards. Thanks to the internet
there is a world of how to out there.

Have fun and keep them in the middle and remember Practice, Practice, Practice.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Location: I split my time between Eugene, OR and Steamboat Spring, CO

A 5 pt blacktail buck a little over 100 yds and a 5pt bull elk 93yds with rangefinder. Complete pass through with 85 gr. Steelforce broadhead, Carbon Express arrows and Bowtech bow @70lbs.
"I travel the far blue mountains, a place of thundering cascades and simple waterfalls, breathing air so fresh and crisp it crackles in the mornings golden light. I climb the tree studded ridges, shouldering up against the blue, a hawk circling above...this and much more call, but of those who answer, few find the freedom which is mine"
Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

Good Shooting. Sharp broadheads in the right plsce will do the job quickly.

I can feel the WEST all over the wonderful paragraph you wrote at the end.

Practice, Practice and Practice.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM

I wrote that when I was 22 and had no idea how it would parallel or describe my life. By profession I've been a financial analyst and advisor for nearly 30 years, but I guide and outfit from August through November every fall. The big blacktail was downhill standing right in front of a large windfall Doug. fir and the arrow sliced through him and sort of pinned him to it for a moment until he jumped ran off. Sucker broke my arrow...the nerve of him! Good luck with your hunting
"I travel the far blue mountains, a place of thundering cascades and simple waterfalls, breathing air so fresh and crisp it crackles in the mornings golden light. I climb the tree studded ridges, shouldering up against the blue, a hawk circling above...this and much more call, but of those who answer, few find the freedom which is mine"
Old 05-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Hey Bear, now it't my turn to disagree...Ignorance is just that, one is ignorant of something if they have never learned of it. Stupidity is when we have been informed and choose to ignore it or refuse to believe it. One thing is certain..."you can't fix stupid...even with duct tape!" This is in no way pointed at you, just added for clarification. Good luck with your shooting and hunting
Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeratlrg View Post
I wrote that when I was 22 and had no idea how it would parallel or describe my life. By profession I've been a financial analyst and advisor for nearly 30 years, but I guide and outfit from August through November every fall. The big blacktail was downhill standing right in front of a large windfall Doug. fir and the arrow sliced through him and sort of pinned him to it for a moment until he jumped ran off. Sucker broke my arrow...the nerve of him! Good luck with your hunting
I lived in Eugene for 27 years until the University kids and their ceaseless
partying next door finaly drove me out. It was either leave or start mowing
the dope smokers down. Hunted lots over there, got some nice black tail racks
and a few ivorys for my collection.

I much prefer the High desert and no close neighbors.