Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Are you on Facebook?
Yes 1,124 46.33%
No 475 19.58%
No, but I may join 43 1.77%
No way, are you kidding? 875 36.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2426. You may not vote on this poll

Are you on Facebook?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Re: Are you on Facebook?

As an IT Professional- NO. There are too many reasons to list but a few are major privacy concerns. That should be enough.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

I much prefer the Craiglist's.....extra hookers, extra perverts, extra everything. MySpace is better for being picked up by creepy people that like the same gender if your a young boy.

Facebook is to PC for me.....and if you are just trying for a hook-up, they actually have to 'like you'. What the @#$%!!!! is up with that?

Scott
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

I always hear a lot of people say how bad Facebook and other social network sites are.

Now, if someone would be so kind, can you please tell me how Facebook, or another social network site, can be so bad if you aren't stupid enough to put way too much information on it and thus make it available to just about anybody?

I feel that a Facebook account, and the related posts, is only what you make it. You can reveal you whole life's history and your daily actions in addition to all of your very personal information if you are crazy enough to do so. If you don't put info on it other than what you are willing for the whole world to see, then what is it about Facebook and similar sites that is so damaging and terrible?

You can put way too much info on LongRangeHunting if you are goofy enough and to my way of thinking that is no different than putting way too much info on one of the social network sites.

This is an age wherein electronic communication is constantly changing. If you don't believe it just ask the post office why their mail delivery is down from what it used to be. Young people especially nowdays live by their computers and especially their phones. In my case I have kids, grandkids and friends that thrive on electronic gadgets and thus texting, email, and the dreaded Facebook are a way to communicate with them on a level that they like and understand. Try asking your granddaughter to communicate with you only by letters or a phone call and you'll hear from her way less often than if you use her preferred methods.

I can remember when there were no cell phones and also when they first became available. I heard all about how bad they were and all of the supposed horror stories about them but guess what, the vast majority of people now have and use a cell phone. I'd be lost without mine and I'm glad the old party line phones faded into oblivion. I can also say the same thing about computers as I had one of the original Radio Shack #1 computers and heard from then on about their limitations and that they were no good and would never amount to anything, and now........guess what......you're reading this on one of those newfangled contraptions.

I guess to each his own but I'd still like to know if there is something I don't know about a social networking site that can do so much harm if one is smart enough about what they put on it and who they even allow to see what they put on line.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:34 PM
PUBLISHER

Dick, you always sound so smart.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 12-24-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Bronze Member

Wow....click it if your brave. Used the word "flat screen" in the search box of Craigslist, and this was in the top five of the results.

>>>>> Not a good idea <<<<<

That was just one example of why to stay away from these websites. Don't think any other explaination is needed. But since I mentioned MySpace, I'll defend my position on that as well.............

Here's an article from a well known paper: <<<<< Boston Herald -MySpace perverts >>>>>

One article might just be a fluke, so here's another: >>>>> Associated <<<<<

I don't think I'm going to go on Facebook, as I just don't want to.......

Not sure how anyone could compare these types of "social networking" websites to cell phones, party line type of land line communications, or even Radio Shack TRS-80 computers from 1981-ish time frame.....but I guess if your reaching for that "I-need-to-compare-it-to-something" to justify it, it'll work-just not very well.

I did find that you were correct about the amount of information that is put on these type of website/forums. Way too much info is often shared.... Thanks for the reminder, but at least no one has contacted me via this website to meet them in the back of a truckstop............................

Scott
Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

The point I was trying to make, and evidently the point got lost in the translation, was that when something new or different comes out people tend to be scared/afraid of it and don't understand it nor do they know how to use it so a lot of them just give it a bad rep. Then there are those that use the new item wrong and thus give it a bad name.

The examples you gave of perverts only reinforces my statement that people are stupid and put too much info on social network sites and don't know how it should be set up. I know people that have several hundred "friends" on Facebook and yet probably less than a handfull of those are actual people the user knows and are really his or her face to face friends or family. Building a friends list just for the numbers is just asking for trouble and trouble is often what people end up with.

The only way somebody on Facebook can come into contact with a very questionable person is if they use their account wrong, set it up wrong and just plain repeatedly do stupid things. I will say though, that a lot of problems come from kids that don't yet have common sense doing things on the internet without their parent's knowledge. Just like a Facebook account should be handled properly I also believe that parents should know what their kids are doing on the web.

I still stand by my original statement and that is that Facebook is what you make it. It's just that simple. Allow anybody to see everything and you're asking for trouble. Allow virtually anybody to be a "friend" is asking for trouble. Use it smart, think about what you're doing and use the privacy controls the way you should and it's just as safe as this site.

I'm not trying to talk anybody into using Facebook nor am I trying to force them to, I'm just stating a fact and that is that if you use it correctly Facebook can be a great way to keep up to date and in contact with family and friends. There are some well know professionals on this site that are on Facebook and their pages are run correctly and they have no problems. Use Facebook wrong and it can mean serious consequences just like using an automobile wrong. Use either one correctly and it ends up being a nice experience.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'm just a wee freshman in college...it's basically a necessity!