Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?
MOA 916 80.21%
mRad 226 19.79%
Voters: 1142. You may not vote on this poll

What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Re: What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

thanks for the reply, now for a daft question if 1 mil is 3.6inches @ 100 yards can one say 200 yards is 6.12 inches or am i way off ?

next daft question my wife has bought me a mildot master for my sightron scope what is the thought of such a product.

anyone got any ideas ?

I must also apologise i have given the wrong load data for 223 69 sierra boat tails it is n140, viht 25g and not 26.5 sorry for this mistake.
anyway i be of now been hard day and i am bushed .
Old 11-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dadamo View Post
thanks for the reply, now for a daft question if 1 mil is 3.6inches @ 100 yards can one say 200 yards is 6.12 inches or am i way off ?

next daft question my wife has bought me a mildot master for my sightron scope what is the thought of such a product.

anyone got any ideas ?

I must also apologise i have given the wrong load data for 223 69 sierra boat tails it is n140, viht 25g and not 26.5 sorry for this mistake.
anyway i be of now been hard day and i am bushed .
you are a little off. Remember its just like moa but a different measure. since one mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards 3.6x2=7.2 so one mil is 7.2 inches at 200 yards.

The mildot master is a good piece of kit. once you get the hang of it, it will serve you well.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM

hi again, so what ever your yards are 4oo : 3.6 x 4 = 14.4 ?
cheers slow learner nick dadamo.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 AM

hi again its nick in uk, manchester. If you had a nightforce 12-42 x 56 N P R 2 reticle and is zero @100 yards .how would you use this scope ? the turret clicks are one eighths clicks . this rifle at present is for range work weighting 14 lbs .
Old 11-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dadamo View Post
hi again its nick in uk, manchester. If you had a nightforce 12-42 x 56 N P R 2 reticle and is zero @100 yards .how would you use this scope ? the turret clicks are one eighths clicks . this rifle at present is for range work weighting 14 lbs .
If memory serves me correctly, that is a bench rest scope. A heavy 14 pound target rifle is what Nightforce designed this scope for. that particular scope has 1/8th moa clicks. so instead of 1/4 moa clicks like most moa scopes this one has much finer adjustments. each click will move the bullet 1/8th of an inch at 100 yards 1/4 of an inch at 200 yards and so on. 8 clicks equals one moa. If memory serves me correctly this scope has a very fine cross hair that will not obscure the x ring when cranked way up to 42 power. for a target range, this is a very good thing.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 MKV View Post
Mil is actually unitless
Paw Bear is 100% correct. the term mil can be applied to anything you desire. Unfortunately, many people like to use slang terms more than I care for. It can often be confusing just as it has been for the original post.
I worked for 46 years as a machinist, toolmaker, instrument maker, tool & cutter grinder and 25 of these years were as a working shop supervisor in a research facility at the University of Illinois.
I grew to hate that term mil, simply because almost everyone that uses it seems to believe it has only one application and they are the absolute authority on what's correct. In a previous post someone mentioned it isn't a linear measurement.
Well, they've never talked to as many mechanical engineers as I have (which is in the hundreds) because I've met only a handful that didn't use the term to mean anything other than 1/1000 of an inch or .001 inches. I've also dealt with hundreds of students looking to have something fabricated. 30-40% of them were foreign. Metric was their way of measuring. At least 50% of the foreign students were also well versed in mechanical engineering. They used the term to mean millimeter, which is 1/1000 of a millimeter or .03939 inches, which approaches 40 times the accepted US .001 inches.
Although not as often, 3rd in line from my experiences, I've heard a student or professor use "mil" when they're referring to a millionth of an inch.
I'd like to further point out that decimal degrees is as fast as anything else used for calculating.
I was however surprised to read that it also had something to do with dividing a circle into something other than units different that 1/1000th. I'm 71 and still learning. This term "mil" seems to include 5 times more than I first suspected.
Since I'm darned sure I don't know everything and I'm not the absolute authority on all the ways the term mil (lowercase BTW) is acceptably used, I darned certain what my experience is & I've had 46 years of it. I've often wished the term "mil" didn't exist because of the confusion it seems to cause.

A few of you need to swallow their pride. For myself, I've been humbled more than I care for in my life.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I sure like my RF and MOA...
Broz,

Does RF refer to Radians, which is another term for calculating angular measurement?