Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?
MOA 914 80.18%
mRad 226 19.82%
Voters: 1140. You may not vote on this poll

What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Re: What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

MOA/MOA for me. I have both but for long range hunting MOA is finer in adjustment. If I was only shooting out to 1k then MRAD would be close enough.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM
????? ??

thwyum@gmail.com

1924??????????????????????????20?????????????????? ???????????
????? ?? http://haihiiru.wix.com/montblanc
Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

I finally concluded, it isn't possible for mil dot to work well for me.

First, because MOA, 1/4 MOA & 1/8 MOA divide exactly into the inch system in increments I understand intuitively.
Second, because the click adjustments are finer for either than 1/10 mil.
Third, MOA will consistently bring me closer to the center of the bullseye than 1/10 mil.
I can calculate how many clicks in my head faster than most can pick up & use a calculator.

I might not say this if I shot anything else but bullseye targets.

MOA works fastest, more accurately & is perfect for the way my mind works.

Everyone should choose what works best for them.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 AM

MOA is what I started with and seems to work in my world!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Bronze Member

People, it makes no difference. MRAD is just as fine as MOA. I shoot both and can do exactly the same thing with both. Shooters will do better without trying to break down to linear distances when using a reticle.
Guys, that's what calibrated reticles are for!!!!!

If you were shooting a straight up duplex then this discussion wouldn't be happening. But the thread is about calibrated reticle.

If you need to make a turret adjustment then you have a calibrated ruler in your scope, there is no need for thinking " I'm 3.5" high at 483 yards, what do I need to adjust?"

Your correct train of thought should be, "OK, I'm .5MRAD high at XXX yds, I need to either hold or adjust .5MRAD down for a second round perfect hit"

Or if MOA, "I.m 2 MOA low at XXX yds, I need to come up 2 MOA either on the turret or the reticle"

You will quickly realize that the distance in inches(or whatever) to POA doesn't matter, neither does the distance to the target. If I'm at 100 ydsn and I'm .5 MRAD low or if I'm 2000 yds and I'm .5 MRAD low then the adjustment is exactly the same, come up .5 MRAD.

Only time linear distances matter is when your ranging with your reticle. Then you can think about it a bit, but MILDOT masters work with MRAD or MOA. But then my other thoughts are that if your shooting LR or past 400 yds or so you need to be axactly sure of your distance, and ranging with your reticle starts to gain error very fast. An inch or 2 target size error mixed with a 1/4 MOA reticle error starts to bring you off of your true distance, get a LRF (I recommend the Vectronix Terrapin). If you have good LRF and a good clear understanding of your scope you will have very few limits when shooting LR.

Not trying to ruffle any feather but if your scope has a calibrated reticle then it should be used properly. It is easy and if there are any questions then respond back, point is, if you can see your POA and your POI, you should never have any trouble with putting them together.

Good luck guys!!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
People, it makes no difference. MRAD is just as fine as MOA. I shoot both and can do exactly the same thing with both. Shooters will do better without trying to break down to linear distances when using a reticle.
Guys, that's what calibrated reticles are for!!!!!

If you were shooting a straight up duplex then this discussion wouldn't be happening. But the thread is about calibrated reticle.

If you need to make a turret adjustment then you have a calibrated ruler in your scope, there is no need for thinking " I'm 3.5" high at 483 yards, what do I need to adjust?"

Good luck guys!!
My assumption was & is, 1/4 minute, 1/8 minute or some metric incremental click for adjusting the cross hairs where you want to shoot. Perhaps my assumption is different from what was intended.

But of course it makes a difference for some of us. MOA is simply easier for me to use. I don't have to remember anything else, it always works the same for me.
I always know what range I'm shooting at in 100 yard increments. 90% of the time for me, if it's within 2-3 inches, I don't care. I shoot for groups only, which may be something some people can't fathom. light bulb?? Not everyone chooses to have the same shooting habits as others.

My method works perfect for me. Always has & always will. I assume Mrad works as well for you. Best of luck to ya! And BTW, my feathers aren't ruffled.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

I understand completely, but what I'm saying is that if you have a calibrated reticle then using a angular measurement is actually easier than using linear distances. It sounds more complicated than it is. And yes, shooting groups on paper will be a bit different for most especially when your target is a known size. But again, this is long range hunting so I assumed that we were talking about a different discipline of shooting. I have both types of scopes and swapping between the two are non problem when you underatand how to use a reticle. Basically if you are just measuring with your target or how far you think you are from center then your not using your reticle. You might as well be using a duplex