Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: What is your preferred scope turret adjustment calibration?
MOA 872 80.52%
mRad 211 19.48%
Voters: 1083. You may not vote on this poll

What is your preferred scope adjustment calibration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 PM
PUBLISHER

Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is your preferred scope adjustment calibration?

Come on Len, I answered the poll question and left a comment a few days ago.

Nothing has changed.

Still MOA. I grew up with MOA and I'm 60 plus so I'm too old to change and candidly, I don't want to.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I grew up with MOA and still have it on many of my small caliber guns but really prefer MIL to MOA for LR big game hunting.

I have said it many times, with MOA or MIL, if you are caught up in using the math you aren't using either system correctly. Use it as an angular measurement and not only do things become much simpler but you will begin to realize that there aren't near the differences folk say there are.

I like MIL better for these reasons.

* The standard 1/2 MIL reticle is about the perfect combination of fineness/coarseness for a reticle design IMO. At 1.8 MOA it is just a bit finer than the many 2 MOA reticle but not so busy to cause clutter like some of the 1 MOA reticles.

* When spinning turrets I like the concept of having to remember and dial for the smaller numbers that MIL provides. In my mind this eliminates some risk in making a turret rotational error or memory error that could cause a miss.

* For my style of shooting, some reticle holdover out to 4-500 yards and most of my shooting is 1/2 mile or less, the MIL turret coarseness is about a perfect blend of speed and accuracy. It isn't too coarse to cause me to be off my mark by too much which in turn allows me to get dialed in just a bit quicker.

* If you are a ballistic reticle fan at all there are way more great MIL reticle designs than there are MOA. Although thanks to NF that is changing.

* I am a strange LR shooter in that I prefer FFP scopes and many of the scopes I like have MIL reticles.

Scot E.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

wow, 80% for moa with 120 votes cast. Maybe this means people are not liking "change" I hope so anyway.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Like my mRad's, nothing against moa I just find mRad easier since its tenths rather than quarters.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

I guarantee you this has to do with everyone being able to think of 1 MOA as 1 inch. People just don't like what they don't know.
Just like how metric would be a good change for this country but everyone fights it.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Mil/Mil for me, though I have no issues with MOA. It's all math, but lots of stuff is geared torwards mils. Some quality spotting scopes have FFP Mil dot which would match my setup.