Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use MOA or MIL
MIL 264 26.22%
MOA 743 73.78%
Voters: 1007. You may not vote on this poll

What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
If you are unsure of the shot when ranging with a good scope, I feel you shouldn't take the shot even if you can verify it with a rangefinder. What etis is saying is how most people feel about long range hunting in general, "too many variables", "move closer". That applies even if you know the distance.
If you're unsure of distance, regardless of how far you THINK it is with using a scope, it pays to know how much farther you've crawled to your quarry. Ergo, use a rangefinder. Nuff said.

That was my point. With a crappy scope, or even a high dollar optic, what's it hurt to have a pocket sized rangefinder? Accurately making a shot starts with knowing how far said target is. Range estimation is critical, but imperfect, even with optics. Knowing the difference between "it looks close enough" from "maybe I should crawl closer" can be much better done with ranging. Eyeballing can get you close, ranging gets you meat.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

The great thing about hunters is they are always trying to get better. It's a great sport and practically every one on here takes it serious. We all enjoy the hunt and making good shots, now we just have to bring someone along to gut and carry the meat back. I may buy a 4 wheeler this year! Dragging them out is a real chore sometimes. About the only thing that's not fun.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
The great thing about hunters is they are always trying to get better. It's a great sport and practically every one on here takes it serious. We all enjoy the hunt and making good shots, now we just have to bring someone along to gut and carry the meat back. I may buy a 4 wheeler this year! Dragging them out is a real chore sometimes. About the only thing that's not fun.
Well, upside to the drag is that it keeps you in shape?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
What kind of a hunter doesn't cut his own meat?

Back home using an off-road vehicle to either transport weapons or for hunting purposes will get the meat, the vehicle and all the weapons confiscated and auctioned off. Takes out the people who are in it for just easy kills. No pain, no meat.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
That was my point.
My point really was that if the shot isn't comfortable enough to take with ranging with a good scope (and reticle), I personally don't feel rangefinder is going to help you all that much. With long distance shots wind and target movement is the main enemy, not drop. You can't accurately predict neither one like you can with drop.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
My point really was that if the shot isn't comfortable enough to take with ranging with a good scope (and reticle), I personally don't feel rangefinder is going to help you all that much. With long distance shots wind and target movement is the main enemy, not drop. You can't accurately predict neither one like you can with drop.
Can't predict drop when you don't know how far your target is.
I see your other points, and agree about wind, temperature, humidity, even the Earths rotation being able to throw your lead off target. But drop isn't any more predictable without knowing your dope. Wind deflection, just like drop, is amplified exponentially at farther ranges, so that too can be taken into account with a rangefinder. Knowing your round, your scope, the weather, the temperature, wind speed, and DISTANCE all are a factor. Ranging helps take ANY guess work out of a shot, regardless of how far you want to shoot. With the right gear, the know how, and patience to know when to pull the trigger, you can indeed make that long shot.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
Can't predict drop when you don't know how far your target is.
True but you're still missing the point I was making.

Even if you know distance, predicting windage is still a questimate at best. Gravity has only slight differences between locations and is very close to 9.81 at all times so it can be considered a constant. Wind however is a variable that keeps changing, even during flight. Both the magnitude AND angle. So a little mistake in ranging is just a drop in the bucket and making that slight correction isn't going to make or break the kill shot. If it is then the shot should have not been taken in the first place.

And why carry a rangefinder when you can have one of these?

Welcome to Carl Zeiss Sports Optics, LLC