Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use MOA or MIL
MIL 264 26.22%
MOA 743 73.78%
Voters: 1007. You may not vote on this poll

What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Wouldn't that technically be IPHY while MOA is x" / MOA * 95.466 y/" ?
Yes, it is. But my point was that most guys aren't good enough to reticle range much past 4-500 yards on big game animals. The variance in target size that BrentC brought up is one of the reasons for this limitation. So for the most part you can use the IPHY formula which is very easy to remember and calculate in your head and only induce a very small amount of error compared to using MOA. At those distances the error isn't enough to worry about.

Even if I did want to add in the 5% error that IPHY induces, it would still be easier for me to use the IPHY formula then subtract out 5% after I get my yardage. This won't be exactly the same number but is close enough and faster for me to do in my head.

For instance, using BrentC's example:

MOA: 19 inches x 95.5 / 4 MOA = 454 yards away
I would have done this: 19/4x100= 475, 5% of 475 is easy for me to figure in my head, 10% is 47.5 and half of that is 23.75. So 23.75 subtract 475 = 451.25. So that is about the same as the true MOA formula but easier and faster for this brain to do!

Scot E.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Gold Member

Here is some useful information I found for all you reticle ranging fanatics.

Quote:
Dogs run from about 5" to about 12" back bone to brisket. Mule deer 18" is a great average to field range in your shot. Whitetales on the southern side of the country run 14", eastern Whitetale 16"-18". NW Whitetale 15"-18". Blacktale 12"-14"
Elk 18"-30" (small cow to mature bull ranges)
Man sized Target 18" shoulder to shoulder width(measure your self to see). Women 14"-16" shoulder to shoulder width. Average fence posts are 40-48" tall Bare ground to tops.
Average Sage Brush are Bare ground to top 30-36" Some can be upwards of 6' or more.
Coyotes are 16"-18" shoulder to rump or often 14-16" bare ground to backbone.
Crows or ravens are 12"-14" tall.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

IPHY, so I guess neither.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

My opinion is that ranging with a scope is so imprecise your best bet is to not take the shot. If that's all you have, move closer. The longer shot still has other variables, wind, temperature, elevation, humidity etc. Most scopes are not precise enough with click values to begin with. This isn't target practice, wounding an animal and not finding it can be a disastrous for other hunters and hikers with some animals. Wing a wolf, big pig or a bear and they get angry, the next person walking in the area may have to deal with that. Wounded dangerous game aren't good for any of us.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Bronze Member

Or both. Reputable sellers of quality glass might take a return for "as good as new" optics. If you find a no questions aked return policy on some of them, id try em both, one of each make and model you prefer, in in MOA, one MIL. If you can't find someone who 'll take em back, then don't risk it as you may get stuck with two scopes that suck. It's not super dishonest as long as you treat em good, I've done it before.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
My opinion is that ranging with a scope is so imprecise your best bet is to not take the shot. If that's all you have, move closer. The longer shot still has other variables, wind, temperature, elevation, humidity etc. Most scopes are not precise enough with click values to begin with. This isn't target practice, wounding an animal and not finding it can be a disastrous for other hunters and hikers with some animals. Wing a wolf, big pig or a bear and they get angry, the next person walking in the area may have to deal with that. Wounded dangerous game aren't good for any of us.
I somewhat agree with you. In most instances, the inaccuracy is compensated with larger caliber (I guess wounding with a bigger gun makes more sense?), ergo, making for more recoil and even more inaccuracy. The wind bucking properties of a larger bullet might make it ever worse still. Get closer or use a range finder.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
Get closer or use a range finder.
If you are unsure of the shot when ranging with a good scope, I feel you shouldn't take the shot even if you can verify it with a rangefinder. What etis is saying is how most people feel about long range hunting in general, "too many variables", "move closer". That applies even if you know the distance.