Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use MOA or MIL
MIL 264 26.22%
MOA 743 73.78%
Voters: 1007. You may not vote on this poll

What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdavidson View Post
I'm MOA all the way!

Ok, a question for the Mil users. Explain (as if I'm new to long range precision shooting) why you would select the Mil system over MOA? (other than the reasons: I always have, my scope is a Mil scope, the military does it).
I'm one of those weirdos that moved from MOA to MIL for my big game hunting needs!

Taking that math out of it, and they both are pretty easy, it is just getting used to it, I still personally like MIL for a few reasons. And keep in mind this list is simply what I like and I do still use both MOA and MIL.

I like the slightly courser adjustments. For my type of shooting, big game to a half mile or so, and practicing out to 1000-1200 yards, I don't feel I lose enough precision to worry about with a .36 adjustment over .26. But the courser adjustments do add these benefits.

1. Fewer clicks and/or rotations of the turret to get on target. This aids in speed and helps eliminate error to some degree IMO.
2. Smaller numbers to remember when dialing, ie 5 mil vs 16.6 MOA. Again, quicker and easier to remember which should lead to fewer mistakes
3. If you like using a ranging/ballistic style reticle in your scope, and I do, I personally like what the 1/2 MIL hash reticles bring to the table. They are a really good blend of precision without too much clutter for ranging, measuring misses or group size, and hold over for target acquisition. I have used 2 MOA and 1 MOA hash reticles and always found myself wanting a bit finer hashmarks than what the 2 MOA offered and the 1 MOA is awful cluttered. Obviously this is my taste only.

Also, I really like FFP scopes for big game hunting inside of 1000-1200 yards and MIL scopes still offer way more and better options than MOA scopes. This has begun to balance more as companies add FFP MOA options but MIL still rules the FFP world as far as good quality scopes with well designed reticles. I realize my like of FFP doesn't fit the majority on this site for LR hunting.

My Take.

Scot E.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I don't have much practice with either system, but a "benefit" to the mil system as I see it is:

The way I see it, if you can think in centimeters/decimeters you always know what your click value is. I.e. If your target is 243m, one click is 2.43 centimeters. If your target is 338m then each click equals 3.38c and if your target is 736 then your click value is 7.36c

Whether that's a true benefit or not, I don't know, but it seems like it would be for missed windage and quick follow up shots. Please straighten me out if my thought process is flawed.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot e View Post

3. If you like using a ranging/ballistic style reticle in your scope, and i do, i personally like what the 1/2 mil hash reticles bring to the table. They are a really good blend of precision without too much clutter for ranging, measuring misses or group size, and hold over for target acquisition. I have used 2 moa and 1 moa hash reticles and always found myself wanting a bit finer hashmarks than what the 2 moa offered and the 1 moa is awful cluttered. Obviously this is my taste only.

Also, i really like ffp scopes for big game hunting inside of 1000-1200 yards and mil scopes still offer way more and better options than moa scopes. This has begun to balance more as companies add ffp moa options but mil still rules the ffp world as far as good quality scopes with well designed reticles. I realize my like of ffp doesn't fit the majority on this site for lr hunting.

My take. :d

scot e.

good stuff
Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Bronze Member

I use both but prefer the speed of mils.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

How are mils any faster??
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
How are mils any faster??

Courser adjustments equals less turning of the turret to get on target. Fewer rotations of the turret means less of a chance for loosing ones place and having to start over.

Scot E.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks lever- hed for the kudos.